Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Mild Steel

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mild Steel

As I am fixing to do the hot side. I was looking at SS dounuts and was planning all SS untill I looked at prices. Its not that I am a cheap ***..its just this car is a budget toy. How well does mild steel hold up to heat?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran

in my opinion its not the heat you should worry about, its corrosion that is the enemy with the steel, little rust gets in the turbo and you got a more expensive problem the the SS to begin with. just my opinion, im sure someone will come along with the, "i been running mild steel for years" thing, but like i said, my opinion, i have only got about $250 wrapped up in my hotside piping for a single front mount.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was going to use Mild Steel but after sending out to get it coated I figured my cost differences between Mild and Stainless were negligible so I just went with Stainless. Mild will hold up well to the heat, but you should think about rust prevention/corrosion with a jet hot coating or similar.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

Fluid Film will stop existing rust on contact and prevent rust on clean metal.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dan@fluidfilm.com
Fluid Film will stop existing rust on contact and prevent rust on clean metal.
I have used some products from Bill Hirsch which has come over from the bridge industry. Just to try it out one day I striped a fender down to bare metal and coated it with his product and put it outside for 9 months before it started showing any signs of rust. I just dont kno what the heat would do over time. do you have any results?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sinisterC4
I have used some products from Bill Hirsch which has come over from the bridge industry. Just to try it out one day I striped a fender down to bare metal and coated it with his product and put it outside for 9 months before it started showing any signs of rust. I just dont kno what the heat would do over time. do you have any results?
the problem is that even coated...MS pipes will rot from the inside-out...I dont' think much of anything will survive the high temperature, high pressure, high flow environment inside the pipes...

Once the car is turned off, water vapor then condenses inside...
Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stainless and coated FTW