Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Burned up my Clutch....

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burned up my Clutch....

I took my firebird out for a little spin yesterday and ON THE WAY HOME I though it would be a good idea to get on it a little. I stood on it from about 5mph and then... Well the car didnt really do anything, other than make a lot of noise and I could smell the clutch burning....

Stock gm clutch with about 45k on it according to the guy I bought it from (good friend of the family).
I have only had the Firebird out of the shop for about two weeks now... Never really felt anything in the clutch to give me a heads up it was going to go out... What are the stock GM clutches rated for, as far as horse power?

Anywho... I'm thinking SPEC Stage 3 now...

Any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fun-Formula98
I took my firebird out for a little spin yesterday and ON THE WAY HOME I though it would be a good idea to get on it a little. I stood on it from about 5mph and then... Well the car didnt really do anything, other than make a lot of noise and I could smell the clutch burning....

Stock gm clutch with about 45k on it according to the guy I bought it from (good friend of the family).
I have only had the Firebird out of the shop for about two weeks now... Never really felt anything in the clutch to give me a heads up it was going to go out... What are the stock GM clutches rated for, as far as horse power?

Anywho... I'm thinking SPEC Stage 3 now...

Any thoughts?

ROFL.

I wonder if the clutch was from a 2000 and back or a LS6 '02 and up. I would never buy anything used like a clutch, with exception of maybe a Textralia.

On my heavier then stock weight Trans Am, 2002 which came with a LS6 clutch from factory was fine until I made over 320 rwhp. The peddle would crash after a hard run, no slip, just crash and stick. The slave had a screwed up bleeder so ultimately I put in a new GM slave, and Textralia OZ700 Z-grip and then a little while later, a Tick Perf Master which makes the trans shift solidly now.

When my stocker started to have issues was at 33k. The car got the clutch done at around 36k and now the car has 48k and now makes just under 400 with a cam and pulls wheels.

Stock Clutch = Stock Power.

IF you gut the car for a lower race weight, the rating can go up.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

www.monsterclutches.com

Give me a call at the shop and we'll go over your clutch needs!

Steve A.
817-750-2000
Old 05-13-2009, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

I wonder if the clutch was from a 2000 and back or a LS6 '02 and up. I would never buy anything used like a clutch, with exception of maybe a Textralia.
No no... let me clarify. lol!
I bought the car and he told me it was a stock gm clutch with 45k on it, the car had 100k on it.
Sorry, I'm retarded...
Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Give me a call at the shop and we'll go over your clutch needs!
You will be hearing from me, but it will be in a few weeks... I have to re stock my "money pit" fund. I just spent a little over 3k on the chassis, suspension, and tune.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Fun-Formula98
No no... let me clarify. lol!
I bought the car and he told me it was a stock gm clutch with 45k on it, the car had 100k on it.
Sorry, I'm retarded...
That makes more sense, it still sucks. Like said you should def talk to sponsors. Textralia is one of them and I personally use them. Monster is new but have some warrentee/guarrentee you may want to check out.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

Clutch wear occurs as a result of a number of factors. These include but are not limited to driving style, power out-put, cleanliness or rather presence of contaminents, and properly functioning hydraulics. Without looking at the parts it is darn near impossible to know what the actual cause was...but since you are in the market for a new unit and your already mentioned being interested in our stage 3 give me a call and I will be happy to assist you. My number and email are both listed below. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the reply! I will be talking to many people about my new clutch set up. I am also going to replace all the hydraulics at the same time.

Quick Reply: Burned up my Clutch....