General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Frustrating electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Frustrating electrical problem

Ive noticed that every once in a while my radio will short out. That's not the bad part but when it does the power windows won't roll up or down and the ragtop won't raise or fall. Also the headlights will turn on but not flip up like they have a mind of their own. Last but not least the foglights wont turn on and I've checked the bulbs and the relay but i notices when i flip the switch on and of, the relay clicks so anybody please help

1998 Trans Am Convertible (stock for now)
Old 05-14-2009, 07:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did this on the way home from the dragstrip one night. I lost the radio, lighting inside and my headlights. When I pulled the stereo I found that there was a pinched wire on one of the supports behind the radio and A/C controls. It had slowly frayed the insulation and shorted out.

There was plenty of slack to reroute the wires so I cut the wire soldered it covered it with heat shrink and zip tied it up out of the way.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Yeah but that wouldn't have anything to do with the ragtop or making the lights flip up and down.
The headlights turn on they just dont flip up every once in a awhile.
Ill pull the stereo and see what;s up back there. Appreciate it
Old 05-14-2009, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

my radio lately twice has cut out for a couple off second with the clock and everything.. sooo its not just the radio that is turning off because the clock goes with it and then it will turn back on like nothing ever happened? When it happened my head lights staid on, well I guess nothing eels turned off with the radio from what I now???
Old 05-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Alright I just got done with the stereo and everything back there looked legit. I noticed as i started to explore under the steering column under that plastic, that someone has been tampering with the harness. I also noticd that there is a small micro switch that is added in the big mess of splices and electrical tape. Maybe that has something to do with VATS i have no idea. The car has the stock VATS system and an aftermarket system so I am so lost
Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Have you fixed this problem? If not, read this thread...

Click Here