any vets out there??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any vets out there??

Well here's whats up. I have a 7 month old female chiihuahua. She is a very active little fart. well tonight she did something ( not sure exactly what) to her back leg and is now limping. She isnt putting any pressure on it at all. I gently touched the leg and inspected it. I didnt see any visible swelling or brusing. I slowly move the leg and extended it back and forth. She didnt whine or whimper. So im not really sure what i need to do as far as first aid?? she is sleeping now. I guess in the morning if sher isnt better i will take her to the vet. Anyone have any ideas to what it might be? thanks!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girl is a vet tech and her dad owns his own vet clinic.

I have a puppy who is 7 months old and weighs in at a whopping 5 lbs. A while back, we took him to the dog park to socialize and he got ran over head first at full speed, by a dog that weighed about 20 lbs. He cried really loudly and his leg twitched until I could run over to him. Right as I was about to pick him up, I saw his leg do a weird pop and he hopped up, only to cry very loudly some more. Later we took him to my girl's dad and he said he had only popped his knee out of place. If I had to guess, I'd say your dog did the same thing. The best advice I could give you is: "puppies are made of rubber."

They are 'wild' animals and are built to take hits in nature. If your dog is that young, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. The next morning after mine had the collision he was running around and fighting with his big brother. He hasn't favored that leg since...
Old 05-13-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

ok thanks man, im hoping thats what she will do. My wife is really concerned about her of course. So im gonna keep a close eye on her.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Launching!

When you rotate her leg around can you get it to make a little popping noise?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

no, no noises at all. it feels smooth when rotated.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Hmmm.... Well my puppy definately had some popping noises/feelings coming from his leg when I rotated it, but besides that, the best phrase to go by is "puppies are made of rubber." I'd be highly surprised if she even limps in the morning. If she does limp just a little bit, give her one more day and if it's not gone by then, I'd have her checked out. There's no need for you to spend that much money to have a vet say, "she's ok."
Old 05-13-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

yeah i know what you mean. She was sleeping on the couch with my wife and got up a few minitues ago. She jumped off the couch and streched out her back leg. She walked a couple of steps on it and then pick it up and limped the rest of the way. She still didnt whine or anything. Im pretty sure she is gonna be okay.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
They are 'wild' animals..
Sorry man but dogs are domesticated animals not wild. My dog will
Limp aroumd from time to time if I don't pay enough attention to her.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

i think he meant wild as in super hyper like puppies. Like my pup, hell she is so damn active and hyper there is really no telling what she did.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Launching!

No, I meant 'wild' as in wild. Every animal no matter how many generations domesticated they are, is still wild. Everyday there are stories on a perfectly normal dogs just snapping and going crazy. However, most dogs or other domesticated animals will not snap, they are still wild animals. Somewhere down the line there's either a stray or the original breed who roamed fields and forrests looking for the next meal...
Old 05-14-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Resident

well, my pup woke up this morning and took off running like nothing happened.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Teching In

I was going to say if you take your dog outside a lot she could have stepped on a sticker bur and got it in between her toes, my dog steps on them sometimes and she wont put any weight on her foot until I get the sticker out of her foot.