Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Sensors needed w/Carb Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Sensors needed w/Carb Intake?

New to the LS1 engine, but I obtained a nice 2000 version without fuel injection intake. I am planning on using a carb intake and spark control box from Edelbrock or MSD to install in a vintage pickup. Do I need the two knock sensors in the valley area to make this conversion work? Everything I have tried to research on the carbed intake doesn't mention hooking the wiring harness of the knock sensors to the spark controller. I am assuming that you don't need them to hook up to anything. The engine does not have the sensors, they were removed when I obtained the engine. Do I need something in the threaded holes, or can I leave them out? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-14-2009, 01:38 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are running the control box only then you do not need the knock sensors. The only hookups the Edelbrock box has is for the coil packs, cam position sensor, MAP sensor and the crank sensor. Then it will need to be wired for power and grounded
Old 05-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. If my engine does not have any sensors on it, and the threaded holes are visible from the intake cover, do I need to plug them, or are they OK without sensors in them?
Thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 01:40 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would plug them. I just took the factory rubber plugs and used some silicone to keep them in place

Quick Reply: Knock Sensors needed w/Carb Intake?