Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into a crate motor is it worth the $$

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into a crate motor is it worth the $$

I am looking at purchasing an LS2 stroked to 402ci crate motor from golen engine service. This motor is turnkey and complete and would be dropped into my 2000 SS. It runs $9,000 and i gues its sticker shock but i wanted to get some opinions on whether or not its worth it. Heres the link to check it out.

http://golenengineservice.com/specs/..._402_550tk.htm

This engine makes 550 hp and thats right in the area i want to be in.

Chad, the owner, also said he could build me an LS6 that makes 500hp for $6500 but I would have to use my accessories for that engine.

I am also weighing the option of rebuilding my stock LS1 to make that power but it just seems easier with work and school and all to buy the crate. I just want the most power for the dollar.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for 9 grand whats it have in it for parts? link doesnt work... 550 horseower doesnt seem like all that much for a 402 if its at the crank... That would probably end up around 460-470 at the wheels which is low for a stroker 402... but if thats all you want its perfect i guess. You could probably make 550 horse at the crank with your stock motor for cheaper, but then it still wouldnt be new and wouldnt have the better driveability of the bigger cube motor. Do you have any mods on your car right now or would you be buying everything?

Second question is are you capable of engine work... if not then the best option is probably to buy a longblock as it probably, or atleast should, have a warranty.