LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help on possible ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help on possible ignition problem

I have just bought a 94 z28, auto 83k, cai, flowmaster, and what i believe are 3.73 gears (turns 2000 rpm at 60mph - am I right?). From a dead stop and while running slow enough to kick down to first it runs perfect when I floor it. I have not tested it above 80 mph though. But, if kicked at anywhere from 35 to say.... 65 it will kick down to second and stutter for a bit. It seems to straighten out by 4000 or 4500 though it doesn't feel as good as it would had I floored it in first and then through second. It seems as though it is loading up with fuel while waiting on the tranny to do it's thing.
Anyway, I just did the icm relo mod and now I noticed a very slight miss while stopped at a light when the engine was at normal operating temperature and had only been run for about 5 minutes. And very gently at that.
I realize it most likely could use plugs and wires. The check engine light is not on and I have not attempted to pull codes. However, I turned the lights off in the garage and started the car to look for wires shorting out and while I didn't see any sparks there (like you can see the wires!) I did notice that the coil was glowing a faint blue or pink on both sides where the metal guard (or whatever you call that box it's in) is. I turned the lights back on and looked closer and notices that it appears that the cylindrical part of the coil is actually touching it on the driver's side. After turning the lights back off and refiring the car there is a definite pink- orange- reddish glow on both sides.
Have I found the problem or a problem or is this normal? It appears to be the stocker btw.
I appreciate the help.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you might change the coil out with a new one they are cheap anyhow.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

I was planning on it anyway. 15 bucks at o'reilly's. Don't know how good the brand is though. Never heard of it, can't even remember the name.
I would still like to know if the coil should glow like that.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have also done some dark testing of my engine compartment checking things over like you did. I have never noticed my coil glowing. However i can say i never spent allot of time staring at it in the dark. My coil is stock coil. All the after market ones burnt out faster than ****. The only sparking (light) i can see on my car is when i look at the plugs you can see a faint blue from the spark through the ceramic on the few that u can see lol. Hope this helps

Micah
Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

O'reilly brand coils work great. ive never had a problem with them. but ive never heard of one glowing, first time. Did you put the three ground wires back on the bolt
Old 05-15-2009, 11:36 AM
11 Second Club

i did put the ground wires, all three of them back on and the car runs no differently than before i did the icm relocation mod. i did not check to see if the coil was glowing before the mod though. i will replace it soon with one from o'reilly's. The glowing one i currently have is the stock one with 83k miles.
i can see how spark plugs could glow through the ceramic but coils are insulated and in a metal shell, are they not? i wouldn't think light should penetrate, but an electrical short yes. i don't know. Anyone?

Quick Reply: Need help on possible ignition problem