LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure?

some of you know im having trouble with my firebird starting.. well i check the pressure and its a 42. Well i kept the gauge on there when the car and key were off and it wasnt holding its pressure in the line. Should it hold it there for a while or will it decrease right away. It went from about 42 to 10 in about 10minutes.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Yes, it should definately hold pressure. I had the same problem but mine would go from 42 psi to 0 in about 1 minute. The problem is the ball check valve in the pump wore out. I replaced the pump and it fixed the problem. The only problems for these symtoms are bad ball check in the pump, leaky injectors, bad fuel pressure regulator, or there is a crack in the fuel feed line attached to the fuel pump.

From what I have seen on here I bet you need to replace your fuel pump.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

What is the problem with your car starting? When mine had this problem it took a while, about 5 sec of cranking to start. Normally my car starts right up. Same with yours?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camerory
Yes, it should definately hold pressure. I had the same problem but mine would go from 42 psi to 0 in about 1 minute. The problem is the ball check valve in the pump wore out. I replaced the pump and it fixed the problem. The only problems for these symtoms are bad ball check in the pump, leaky injectors, bad fuel pressure regulator, or there is a crack in the fuel feed line attached to the fuel pump.

From what I have seen on here I bet you need to replace your fuel pump.
did your car ever have problems starting?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Teching In

yea it takes about 5 seconds to crank
Old 05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Could it have any thing to do with bad ignition or opti?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

try priming the car 3 or 4 times before actually cranking it....if it fires right away after doing that, your ball check valve is bad.

and at that point in time it would be a wise decision to replace the pump.
i just did mine about 2 days ago, and it REALLY woke my car up! but my fuel pump has been slowly dying for quite some time
Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andys94Z
try priming the car 3 or 4 times before actually cranking it....if it fires right away after doing that, your ball check valve is bad.

and at that point in time it would be a wise decision to replace the pump.
i just did mine about 2 days ago, and it REALLY woke my car up! but my fuel pump has been slowly dying for quite some time
what about car try to start for about 3-5 second, and if I try start right again, it start right up, my fuel rail cross over oring is leaky, could this be the problem ?
Old 05-16-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FiveOhhEatr
did your car ever have problems starting?
Yes, my car had problems starting. I would have to prime the fuel system (turn the key on/off about 3-4 times before starting). If I didn't do that it took about 5 sec of cranking. I could also tell mine pump was slowly going bad because in 6th gear at low rpm (1300 or 60 mph) my check engine light would come on. After replacing the pump the light does not come on. I bet it wasn't getting enough fuel there.

If the car runs normal after started I don't think you could have anything wrong with plugs or the opti.

So I think we have the same problem. Like I said I would replace your pump.

You'll have to either drop the tank or cut a hole in your trunk area. Search for replacing the fuel pump on the site there are many how to's.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by killagt
what about car try to start for about 3-5 second, and if I try start right again, it start right up, my fuel rail cross over oring is leaky, could this be the problem ?
You cold still have a bad ball check valve in the pump. When you get it started the pump is supplying sufficient pressure, when you shut it off and start it right up the fuel pressure is still up enough to start easily. Get a pressure gage and check if your fuel pressure drops off like he stated above. There are other methods to check if you have a leaky injector.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was having the same problem,I pulled the sending unit/pump and I found a crack in the flexible fuel line between the pump and the sending unit;replaced the line and it starts right up.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure?