Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

If you know alot about wheels and finishes, come in!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you know alot about wheels and finishes, come in!!!

Well guys, I've encountered a problem with my wheels on my 2005 Chevy Equinox. The clearcoat on the wheels has come off, and corrosion has started taking place.

Now, overall I have enjoyed this SUV. I am a college student, and am very fortunate to be driving it. However, the things that keep on breaking or going wrong with it are driving me crazy. My family has been an avid GM supporter. My Uncle, Martin Krueger, works for them, and is the head of the Chevy Volt program. He also worked on the Hummer program in the early 2000's. Unfortunately, he can't really help us on this issue. To make a long story short, alot of stuff has broken. A trans mount at 70,000 miles, and an EGR at 77,000. Why would a trans mount on a family SUV be breaking at 70,000 miles? GM even went to say that they will not replace the costs, because they wouldn't admit that the part went through a catostrophic failure.

Well, now on to the wheels. This really pisses me off, because I always tried to keep the wheels clean from dirt and grease, and the clearcoat just comes off.

I'll give you guys some pictures now.

I am wondering what I can do about this.

1) Can it be repaired by me or a local shop for a cheap ammount of money?...or

2) Will GM fess up and replace the wheels if I pitch a bitch to headquarters?

Thanks for your help guys!!

Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang man that sucks, wish I had a suggestion for you.

You sure you haven't been washing the wheels with aircraft stripper? lol
Old 05-15-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by colby72olds
Dang man that sucks, wish I had a suggestion for you.

You sure you haven't been washing the wheels with aircraft stripper? lol
It sure looks like it lol.
All of them are pretty bad.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

What wheel cleaner have you been using? I've got a funny suspicion that's the culprit.

My Dad did the same thing to his wheels. He was using a wheel cleaner made for chrome, mags, or aluminum wheels. I tried telling him that modern polished aluminum wheels are clearcoated from the factory, meaning, nothing should be sprayed on them that you wouldn't spray on the paint of your car. (i.e. sopa and water only...or perhaps Simple Green)

The acids ate the clearcoat away on his.

Your only choice is to strip them yourself, polish them up, and seal them with Zoop.

Or, pay a shop to strip and re-shoot clear for you.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Al 96 Ram Air T/A
What wheel cleaner have you been using? I've got a funny suspicion that's the culprit.

My Dad did the same thing to his wheels. He was using a wheel cleaner made for chrome, mags, or aluminum wheels. I tried telling him that modern polished aluminum wheels are clearcoated from the factory, meaning, nothing should be sprayed on them that you wouldn't spray on the paint of your car. (i.e. sopa and water only...or perhaps Simple Green)

The acids ate the clearcoat away on his.

Your only choice is to strip them yourself, polish them up, and seal them with Zoop.

Or, pay a shop to strip and re-shoot clear for you.
Funny thing is, I didn't
No compounds, cleaners or anything.

Just old fashioned soap and water with every car wash.

I may go around to some shops today and see what they can do.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Just save up get some 20s and call it day.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

The curb rash spots are where it starts, and like any coating, once you break the seal and infiltration starts you have problems. They should be very easy to strip and recoat - contact one of the powder coaters on the board here and I'm sure you can get them done reasonably.

Then, when you have any curb rash or nicks, touch them up right away with clear.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DaddySS
The curb rash spots are where it starts, and like any coating, once you break the seal and infiltration starts you have problems. They should be very easy to strip and recoat - contact one of the powder coaters on the board here and I'm sure you can get them done reasonably.

Then, when you have any curb rash or nicks, touch them up right away with clear.
Very good response. That's what I thought.
I visited a body shop today, and they quoted me $100 a wheel.
The guy was very nice, and honestly told me that I could buy a new set for the price that it would cost to have them repaired. I also might look for a nice set to roll around on, (20's) and then use these during the winter.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 92builtbird
Very good response. That's what I thought.
I visited a body shop today, and they quoted me $100 a wheel.
The guy was very nice, and honestly told me that I could buy a new set for the price that it would cost to have them repaired. I also might look for a nice set to roll around on, (20's) and then use these during the winter.
For 100 a wheel, you could definitly put that towards a new set.. If not, and your not incredibly worried about looks, paint em yourself.. Strip em with aircraft stripper, prep and spray away.. If you take your time, theyll probably come out pretty damn good, and save you some cash.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
For 100 a wheel, you could definitly put that towards a new set.. If not, and your not incredibly worried about looks, paint em yourself.. Strip em with aircraft stripper, prep and spray away.. If you take your time, theyll probably come out pretty damn good, and save you some cash.
Good advice here..

If you were dead set on reconditioning them, there are companies out there that do so. I know one that the folks use and have had no complaints from. I'll send it to you in a pm since they're not a sponsor.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the pm, I will check into it.
Keep the suggestions coming.

And thanks NVR also.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Motorboater

Where are you located? If you want to ship them out I can strip them, blast them, and powder coat in any color. My work is top notch, guaranteed.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Where are you located? If you want to ship them out I can strip them, blast them, and powder coat in any color. My work is top notch, guaranteed.
Detroit area. If I plan to get them coated, I will send you a PM.
Thanks!!

Search this Thread