LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any ideas on how to make your own breather cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any ideas on how to make your own breather cap?

Ever since I had to crush the PCV box in a little to clear my Comp rocker arms I've been a little worried about if its relieving enough pressure because ever since then I developed an oil leak near the back of the oil pan. Now mine is a 93 so I dont think adding a breather is bad like it is on MAF cars but correct me if I'm wrong. I just figure it wouldnt hurt to add one but I cant seem to buy one that fits tight. They all want to slide out. I was thinking I could maybe drill a few small holes in the oil cap and put some kind of filter material over or under them instead of buying one for $50 shipped (What a ripoff!) Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by moderate Z28
Ever since I had to crush the PCV box in a little to clear my Comp rocker arms I've been a little worried about if its relieving enough pressure because ever since then I developed an oil leak near the back of the oil pan. Now mine is a 93 so I dont think adding a breather is bad like it is on MAF cars but correct me if I'm wrong. I just figure it wouldnt hurt to add one but I cant seem to buy one that fits tight. They all want to slide out. I was thinking I could maybe drill a few small holes in the oil cap and put some kind of filter material over or under them instead of buying one for $50 shipped (What a ripoff!) Any ideas? Thanks!
What some people choose to do is run a passenger side valve cover on both heads and use a breather filter on both oil filler necks.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my new valve covers did not come with the provision for anything. I have to drill mine where ever i want it to me. Look into the filters that have a piece on the inside of the cover then the outside piece screws onto that piece.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I want to put a breather in place of the oil cap on the Pass. Valve cover. I only want one and I dont want to have to get new valve covers just for a breather. I just dont know what kind will fit in there nice and tight. Anybody have some part #'s? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

why did you have to any extensive modifications to the valve covers just to fit pro-mags??

a little carbide burr in a die grinder to the supports around the centerbolt holes is all that should have been needed..
Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

^Im not sure why I had to do so much modding to the covers. I did what most people do to the supports by cutting them. I would do a little and turn the engine over by hand to see if it was enough. After about 5 times I finally had enough cut out. The drivers side didnt need much but the Pass side needed alot and it was because of the PCV box (I think). I would turn the engine over and I could see the valve cover moving but after I crushed the box in a little it it stopped. And thats why I want a breather cap.