Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slicks roll out size diffrence????

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Slicks roll out size diffrence????

So I just checked them on mine, for the 1st time. Set the Psi a little high 16.5, money. One is 89.5 other is 90.5? Recheck psi and did them again, same numbers? I marked these and switched them a few times last year on about 10 dates. Change that at the track.

ETdrags 28x10.5x15 stiff sidewall on new 15x10 prostars?

why are they off so bad?????
this is my 1st set of slicks, Im not sure about those numbers?
Old 05-15-2009, 04:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you lookin' at rollout or diameter? those #'s are too low for a rollout measurement on a
28" tire.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:27 PM
12 Second Club

An inch isn't a big difference, I've seen them be 3 or 4 inches difference between the same style tire. A good tire place will measure the rollout and sell you a 'matched pair' so the rollout is the same on both.

If they are old and matched when they were new then maybe the bigger one got over inflated and baked in the sun a while, that'll make them grow. That's why they say to never inflate more than X amount of pressure to seat them, the rubber is so soft it'll stretch easy.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

A bunch of guys on YB said the strech thing they have never seen works and they always go back.

whats with MT matching them? Is the number molded in, stamped, or just writen on them?

textrans-no idea ?thats the numbers they read # 16.5psi right on the centerline.

thats a big diffrence after 1320', I have a true trac, if I had a spool Im sure Id feel it.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:07 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MT tires have been like that forever, and yes they always seem to go back after you air them up and let them sit in the sun. I'm lucky enough to have a stocking M/T dealer near by and I can switch them right away if I get a pair thats way off.

FWIW Hoosier marks all of theirs right from the factory so you know what you are getting. Some M/T dealers check them before they ship. If you order MT slicks from Jegs/Summit its a crapshoot at best.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
MT tires have been like that forever, and yes they always seem to go back after you air them up and let them sit in the sun. I'm lucky enough to have a stocking M/T dealer near by and I can switch them right away if I get a pair thats way off.

FWIW Hoosier marks all of theirs right from the factory so you know what you are getting. Some M/T dealers check them before they ship. If you order MT slicks from Jegs/Summit its a crapshoot at best.
I had one pair of MT 28's that were off a whole 2" on the rollout, 2"!!!!!
Good year marks the rollout on the tires as well. Yes if you order from jegs/summit it's a crapshoot.

studderin, yeah that's the diameter it sounds like.
Rollout is like a circumference measurement.
Mark the tire and the ground together, roll the tire one full rotation and mark the ground where the mark on the tire is. The distance between those 2 marks on the ground is the rollout measurement.
FWIW supposedely 1/4" on the rollout is tolerable, any more than that is a compromise, especially with a spooled car.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:44 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by tektrans
I had one pair of MT 28's that were off a whole 2" on the rollout, 2"!!!!!
Good year marks the rollout on the tires as well. Yes if you order from jegs/summit it's a crapshoot.

studderin, yeah that's the diameter it sounds like.
Rollout is like a circumference measurement.
Mark the tire and the ground together, roll the tire one full rotation and mark the ground where the mark on the tire is. The distance between those 2 marks on the ground is the rollout measurement.
FWIW supposedely 1/4" on the rollout is tolerable, any more than that is a compromise, especially with a spooled car.
I always just measure around the tire (circumference) and I have seen MTs as much as two inches off. Even down to 1/2" difference If I switched them side to side the car would go a little left or right depending on which tire was on which side. I switched to 10.0 x 28 Hoosiers now, I'm not making the power where I need the 10.5 stiff M/Ts on this car and its nice not to worry about them being different sizes.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the tires I sell are mounted and matched. The car will drive to the right or left if you have a spool due to one tire being larger.

225-343-9029
Old 05-17-2009, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I always just measure around the tire (circumference) and I have seen MTs as much as two inches off. Even down to 1/2" difference If I switched them side to side the car would go a little left or right depending on which tire was on which side. I switched to 10.0 x 28 Hoosiers now, I'm not making the power where I need the 10.5 stiff M/Ts on this car and its nice not to worry about them being different sizes.
Isn't it amazing (and scary at the same time) that a company can make a product that can affect what it's designed for so much, AND BE SO FREAKIN' INCONSISTANT!!
With the exception of a drag radial, I will never run a MT slick on my car. (I'm sure MT is very upset ) I just can't get over a product being that far off. Maybe that's why racers in pro stock and top fuel don't use them. They don't do they? I only have seen Goodyear and now recently Hoosier.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by tektrans
Isn't it amazing (and scary at the same time) that a company can make a product that can affect what it's designed for so much, AND BE SO FREAKIN' INCONSISTANT!!
With the exception of a drag radial, I will never run a MT slick on my car. (I'm sure MT is very upset ) I just can't get over a product being that far off. Maybe that's why racers in pro stock and top fuel don't use them. They don't do they? I only have seen Goodyear and now recently Hoosier.
Its just the nature of the beast, its not just M/T, all slicks should be checked even if they are marked. Its not a big deal if you are a stocking dealer and have 50 tires to choose from, but when you mail order you never know what you are going to get. If Hoosier can mark them at the factory why cant M/T, I'm sure its not a big deal to do.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

wouldn't you have to mount them with some air in them to measuer them?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Another reason to try Hoosier. Oh yea, plus they work.

Quick Reply: Slicks roll out size diffrence????