General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need Tech advise

Old 05-15-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Tech advise

2000 Camaro LS1. (375HP)

I recently replaced my alternator (AC Delco) and put in a new battery last month. The car ran fine and I drove around a few days with no problems. After a week I drove to the store and noticed my "check gages" light come on again and I saw the battery level was in the red and slowly moving down. Luckily I turned around and just as I got to my driveway the car died on me. I have replaced the battery again and the car will start but the battery level is still not where it should be. I know I will have the same issue if I was to drive somewhere. Does anyone know what the problem could be? If not where should I take it to get a diagnostic, dealership maybe?
Please PM me if you have a reply, thanks.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the battery?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check all connections, terminals, and grounds. Check them for looseness, corrosion, and breaks. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GOHOME
2000 Camaro LS1. (375HP)

I recently replaced my alternator (AC Delco) and put in a new battery last month. The car ran fine and I drove around a few days with no problems. After a week I drove to the store and noticed my "check gages" light come on again and I saw the battery level was in the red and slowly moving down. Luckily I turned around and just as I got to my driveway the car died on me. I have replaced the battery again and the car will start but the battery level is still not where it should be. I know I will have the same issue if I was to drive somewhere. Does anyone know what the problem could be? If not where should I take it to get a diagnostic, dealership maybe?
Please PM me if you have a reply, thanks.
First thing, go get the battery and alternator checked for free at Advance Auto or wherever. Have the alternator checked while in the car with the engine running. Since its new if it doesn't show its working, you need to check your excitor wire. Thats the little tiny wire that plugs into the top of the alternator. If its shorting out somehow it will charge speratically and the guage will bounce around when it shuts the alternator "on" and "off" all the time. Its supposed to turn "on" one time and stay "on" till you turn the engine off.

Seems like thats your issue.

Read this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...r-problem.html

Search this Thread