TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Lugging in 6th

Just finished pretty much a complete tuneup on my 97 ws6. I just did:

MSD 8.5mm OTVC Wires
TR6 Plugs Gapped at .040"
K&N air filter (whatever)
Accell Cap and Rotor

I still have a racetronix fuel pump and wiring kit to install but the only problem with my current pump is a bad check valve so i dont think thats it. The car is running pretty well, and i drove it over 150 miles yesterday with no issues. Problem is, the car has never felt quite as strong as it used to before my stuck open injector/hydrolocking incident. The car used to roast the tires rolling into second gear. Now, if i mash it from a second gear roll, it won't spin them at all. Also, if i am under 70mph, and i give it a good amount of gas in 6th gear, the car lugs and shakes BAD, (shifter wobbling like crazy in consol etc). I have 3.73s, so i know that a good running car should easily be able to cruise at 65 in 6th.

Like i said, car runs good, but this little issue is bothering me. Only thing i can think of is that maybe i didnt "snap" one of the plug wires on good enough. The one complaint i have about my MSDs over my taylors is that the plug boots are so damn big, its hard to tell if they "snapped" on or not.

Anyone have any suggestions? Sorry about the long post
Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Just finished pretty much a complete tuneup on my 97 ws6. I just did:

MSD 8.5mm OTVC Wires
TR6 Plugs Gapped at .040"
K&N air filter (whatever)
Accell Cap and Rotor

I still have a racetronix fuel pump and wiring kit to install but the only problem with my current pump is a bad check valve so i dont think thats it. The car is running pretty well, and i drove it over 150 miles yesterday with no issues. Problem is, the car has never felt quite as strong as it used to before my stuck open injector/hydrolocking incident. The car used to roast the tires rolling into second gear. Now, if i mash it from a second gear roll, it won't spin them at all. Also, if i am under 70mph, and i give it a good amount of gas in 6th gear, the car lugs and shakes BAD, (shifter wobbling like crazy in consol etc). I have 3.73s, so i know that a good running car should easily be able to cruise at 65 in 6th.

Like i said, car runs good, but this little issue is bothering me. Only thing i can think of is that maybe i didnt "snap" one of the plug wires on good enough. The one complaint i have about my MSDs over my taylors is that the plug boots are so damn big, its hard to tell if they "snapped" on or not.

Anyone have any suggestions? Sorry about the long post

to be completely off from what your thinking it might be. maybe your clutch is bad ? i had a similar incident when my clutch was completely shot along with my pilot bushing. either that or maybe your engines leaning out. when was the last time the 02's were replaced ?
Old 05-16-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
to be completely off from what your thinking it might be. maybe your clutch is bad ? i had a similar incident when my clutch was completely shot along with my pilot bushing. either that or maybe your engines leaning out. when was the last time the 02's were replaced ?
i knew i was forgetting something. I also just did new o2s with brand new AC delco.

I don't think its my clutch either. It has less than 650 miles on it and doesnt slip at all. Hmmmmm
Old 05-16-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

the shifter wobbling like crazy could be your tranny mount....also are you running nitrous? if not tr55 is the right heat range for a bolt on car and i would try a lil bigger gap try something like .050
Old 05-16-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
the shifter wobbling like crazy could be your tranny mount....also are you running nitrous? if not tr55 is the right heat range for a bolt on car and i would try a lil bigger gap try something like .050
not running nitrous, and this isnt a bolt on car if you look at my sig. I was told that 1 step colder than stock range (tr55) would be better. I had tr55s in there before, and after swapping them out to tr6's, the lugging was no better.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like any one of the multiple instances where I burned my plugs wires or got them cut by a pulley. Check all your wires.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HoLLo
That sounds like any one of the multiple instances where I burned my plugs wires or got them cut by a pulley. Check all your wires.

+1.

Make sure they aren't crossed up either.

I did that the when i did my headers and drove around for a day on only 6 properly firing cyclinders. Still had some decent power, but in 6th gear it would lug and shake like no other till i changed the wires around.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

just removed the #7 injector wire while the car was idling, and it didnt change the idle at all. If i pulled any of the other injectors, the idle would start to act up and stuff. So i pulled the plug for that cylinder, and it had some oil on it.

This is also the same cylinder that had the injector get stuck open, and hydrolocked the motor. I'm going to check for spark and stuff there in a little bit.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

replace the plug and redo the injector test. if it stumbles this time you found the problem. if it keeps oil fouling the plug then you got other issues
Old 05-17-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Resident

when you're lugging in 6th gear just give it some NOS and youll be good to go

lol
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does it do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFakrFLVV0

This is a buddy of mines car. He thought that it was the opti, changed that and it did nothing. Then he had the car running one night while it was semi dark, and noticed it looked like fireworks under his hood, lol. He had multiple plug wires arcing. New set of wires, and the went away completely.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by k0261886
Does it do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVFakrFLVV0

This is a buddy of mines car. He thought that it was the opti, changed that and it did nothing. Then he had the car running one night while it was semi dark, and noticed it looked like fireworks under his hood, lol. He had multiple plug wires arcing. New set of wires, and the went away completely.
damn man thats bad. mine was kinda doing that. but i have all new wires something to def check

Quick Reply: Lugging in 6th