Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Does this sound like a master/slave prob to you? (LT1 T56)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does this sound like a master/slave prob to you? (LT1 T56)

I finally had my car back on the road and driving nice after nearly 2 months of downtime (had the trans gone through and replaced the broken 10 bolt rear).

I was just taking it for a spin after I had just put a new alternator on to get rid of the squeaky pulley on the old one (go figure, the squeak was still there anyway ) and about a mile from home I got on it in first gear, shifted to second, wound it up, then when I put the clutch pedal down it felt light and I couldn't get it out of second. So I started to limp it home in second (hey not too bad since I have 3.23s in it right now ). Just before I pulled in my driveway I tested the clutch again and some of the feel came back and I got it into first but that was it, then it went dead again.

I parked it and first thing I checked was the fluid in the reservoir which looked fine, no change in the level since I checked all the fluids a few days ago, MAYBE like 1/4" lower, not positive tho. I got the car up in the air and looked, it's wet by where the slave bolts up to the trans but I can't tell if it's brake fluid from the master/slave or oil from a leak at the back of the intake mani I haven't totally fixed yet. With the car off I tested the clutch again, pedal is light and goes down to the floor almost where it gets hard. Definitely messed up.

Before I shotgun a new GM master/slave does this sound likely the prob? Any obvious failure signs I can look for besides fluid coming out? (again can't really tell because of a thin sheen of oil on the bellhousing/trans) I'm 99% sure this is the problem because I had sneaking suspicion of its failure for a while due to some other much more minor symptoms but I've gotta scale back on how much money I dump into this thing constantly.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not really sure, but i do know a way to test for a leak is to use a mityvac on it, and if you keep getting air bubbles and the vacuum goes down it means there is a leak in the hydraulics
Old 05-17-2009, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How does the clutch pedal feel?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
How does the clutch pedal feel?
Hard to explain, feels kinda light then at the last inch or two of travel before matted it gets some resistance. It feels to me like it's really low on fluid but the res is full. I ordered a new GM master/slave, then I will go from there. Didn't have time to pull the slave off and look for oddities around the clutch fork or anything yet though.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

i am also going through similar clutch nightmares..
feels kinda light then at the last inch or two of travel before matted it gets some resistance
im having almost the same feeling in my pedal.. i am also ordering my new slave/master next week.. keep me posted on the install/outcome and take some pics if ya dont mind
Old 05-17-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by collier341
i am also going through similar clutch nightmares..

im having almost the same feeling in my pedal.. i am also ordering my new slave/master next week.. keep me posted on the install/outcome and take some pics if ya dont mind
Will do. I ordered it from GM parts direct, hopefully they don't take too long to ship it to me.

Quick Reply: Does this sound like a master/slave prob to you? (LT1 T56)