Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd trans looking for a new trans builder

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 3rd trans looking for a new trans builder

ok so after my friend blew out my 10 bolt i bought a moser 9 inch and installed it today , everything went good , ya a few tweeks here and there but its done, when i took the camaro out i didnt get 30 feet and when the trans tried to shift into 2nd it was like it went into park weel hop and a violent shutter ,it will not go into second manually or automatically i stopped immediately put it in low one and got back in my drive way , i called frank from performabuild and he gave me the run down , IT WAS NOT A PERFORMABUILD TRANS BY THE WAY , frank is just a good person who will take your call anytime , now i will say that is the 3rd trans gone wrong from OUTLAW TRANSMISSIONS flat out i dont care how you cut the cake its number 3 , so i am now going to shell out another chunk , realize ive got a 3 month old and a 3 year old my wife stays home and takes care of the kids and i make $35,000 a year , and this trans issue is killing me , ill give it to ya straight , i pay the money i pay and i want a trans that can take everything i throw at it, a daily driver with allot of power that i punch every chance i get so its going to be abused , who has a trans that will fit my need ? im going to runa 3200-3500 stall , the motor is all bolt ons right now but over the winter it will be stroked to a 383 and aggressive cam and trick flo or afr heads i might even throw a shot in there with it , but my car is a 2001 ls1 auto 4l65e , i have a moser f body 9 inch in it just need some advice and just want people to be honest about their transmissions capabilities , just for the record i dont do neutral drops or do a burnout starting on gravel and transfering to pavement im not a complete idiot i basically race around town showing off and take it to the track once in awhile like once every 2 months , really my stock trans held a 200 shot and my driving for 2 years and my outlaw trans without nitrous havent lasted even 50 miles , the worst was 6 miles help me out who has the big dog trans that you can honestly say i wont break it , my car runs a 7.2 sec 8th and that about covers it thanks for reading and anyone feel free to tell me who is the best thanks
Old 05-17-2009, 12:20 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to defend your builder but this last failure was probably caused by the rear end. I have seen rear ends take out transmissions in the past. Usually damaging the low roller and other internal components. Feel free to give us a call to discuss your options if your builder does not help you out. Vince
Old 05-17-2009, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

cant go wrong with FLT or Performabuilt...performabuilt has a 2year no bullshit warranty as well on tranny/verter combos irc
Old 05-17-2009, 02:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Not trying to defend your builder but this last failure was probably caused by the rear end. I have seen rear ends take out transmissions in the past. Usually damaging the low roller and other internal components. Feel free to give us a call to discuss your options if your builder does not help you out. Vince

That is exactly what I told him on the phone LOL

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

ive read allot of threads and my next trans will be performabuild or flt that much is for sure , im curious as to what converters the two use , b/c i had one trans go b/c of a converter failure , and a question is it feasible to have a trans that i can drive and take to the track ? my car does see very much track time at all and i dont drive the car in the rain or snow , i know you have to give a little to get , i know allot of race parts arent good for everyday driving is this true with a transmission ? thanks guys
Old 05-17-2009, 11:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

No transmissions are quiet a different story , A performance trans is just as streetable as a stock trans for everyday driving. The converter can be too depending on what stall and STR you choose.
As for our converters they are ours and when purchased with the trans get the two year warranty as does the trans.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone that warranties a transmission for 2 years, let alone a 4L60E that's gonna be drag raced obviously must know what they are doing and putting a good quality product out there. Just the way I see it.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could not be happier with my performabuilt from Frank
I have had a few things to ask at 2AM in the morning,and he was there.
Performabuilt will always have my buissness
Thanks Frank

Last edited by Wheatley; 05-18-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been running the FLT tranny for alittle while with 90% of it being track abuse.Tranny has been awesome and hasn't skipped a beat.Also run a Yank SS4000.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

ok guys i just need input so as to make the best desicion and all input good or bad helps a person make a desicion i wish i would have had done this before i went with out law , i can understend were people have strong feelings toward a builder if they went through half of what i have gone through and what my family has sacraficed for me to have the car i want , and then some *** is driving a new viper or vette and a hummer taking advantage of people like myself that dont know the inner workings of a trans and put all there trust in someone only to screwed , im not saying any of these builders such as flt or performabuild ar guilty of that i have not done business with them but others have and i want the good and the bad , and things doo happen thats the nature of the beast when you play with toys such as ours , that much i understand , i just want honesty , you know i would proudly stand bye a vendor if there product had an issue as long as they realize they cannot expect to make a profit , they will have to lose money to give the customer what they payed for no matter what , its only right we have paid and not recieved what we wanted , so what if i gave a vendor $100 for a $2500 trans the vendor wants his money no matter what , not $150 or $2000 he wants his money and all of it and thats what a customer wants 100% $200 bucks to take out and install a new trans for a single family income isnt small change , now add that times 3 there ya go but to everyone i dont want to start a fight i just want all info and honesty and i think thats what im getting so thanks to everyone including the vendors
Old 05-18-2009, 11:14 PM
9 Second Club

My vote is PERFORMABUILT!! I have raced my 4l60e lv2 for over 21/2 years and have had over 300 passes on the tranny and running several low 10 sec nitrous passes and several motor passes @11.01 pulling a 60ft 1.42 3500 stall, full weight TA no weight reduction with stock k member and has air. I just switch to a PerformaBuilt T400 W/ BRAKE and setting up the car to run in the LSX Shoot out. I gave my brother my 4L60E so its on its 3rd year race season and the tranny is still strong as ever and my brother drives it daily and races. With no freshen up at all. That says alot for me. And Frank has earned respect from the Fbodys around centeral missouri after seeing my car perform there are several guys in the area running this tranny.
I work daily and have 2 kids and a wife so I know what you mean you want the best with you hard earned money because for one the wife will bitch for months if it breaks two you have to pull the dam tranny which sucks too. I went through the same thing when I bought my tranny and talk to Frank several times late night debating on who to go with im glad I made the right choice. Thank Frank for BAD *** CUSTOMER SERVICE AND A GREAT PROUDUCT.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

I have heard great things about both guys. And when I was making my decision as to which built trans I was going to go with, both Vince and Frank were great guys to deal with. I hate to hear dicks coming in here and bashing either of these two guys.

I myself went with Performabuilt, and I have not regretted it a second, I have given Frank all kinds of questions and he is always there and even happy to answer questions.

to both companies

btw, I track my car ever week.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

from reading peoples experiences with FLT or performabuilt, i think you couldnt go wrong with either. these 2 companies know how to build good transmissions and you could trust there work. FLT and Performabuilt are always on here replying quickly to peoples questions and if i was in the market it would definitely be 1 of the 2 for sure.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FLT, RPM, or Performabuilt. Have heard good things about all. Personally I will be buying a RPM tranny when my stock one goes, but they are only like 50 miles from me...
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 AM
9 Second Club

Most of you know my 2000 C5 Coupe. It has been doing about 120 quarter mile 9 sec runs each year since 2004. FLT does my 4L60E, and Rodney at RPM does my rearends, while Dan Bills at FLP does almost everything else. This car although street legal in Illinois is DRAG RACE TESTED every year. If it wasn't for these guys I could not seriously race this car year in and year out. My testimony here is because I have long term first hand knowledge about these shops and their owners. My car is unusual in that is it driven on the street all summer long and raced against purpose built racecars on the weekends. Sure "stuff" has broken but for the most part this car is reliable and probably the quickest and fastest procharged car in the country thanks to these guys.

Thanks

JR

Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irocem99
Wow,what a professional. I've been reading these posts and had to laugh. Your calling him a 14 yr old school girl? Funny. What kind of a class act is going to call out a vender in public? You must be a lawyer or Dr,maybe a scientist? More like a tire guy! Oh sorry,tire technician. So you had a bad experience,you f'n crybaby..Happens to everyone. Some people are just ******** and nothing is ever good enough..Your probably one of those class acts that no matter how well your treated if one little thing goes wrong,you just gotta be a ***** about it.. I hope your engine seizes..Then you can tell everyone not to buy anything from GM,leave this forum for a Ford forum. POS!
you *** off as a real professional DICK tire guy.........hoping the guys motor seizes is a dick move see any body can do this

why cant you just see it as his point of view? we all have them

just move on when you see something you dont like........

Quick Reply: 3rd trans looking for a new trans builder