Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

locking header bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default locking header bolts?

Just recently received some kooks headers and Im wondering if the bolts they sent with the headers will do just fine or if i should go ahead and spring for some locking header bolts? I hear that most people go for the locking bolts, but it just makes me wonder if the ones that kooks sent are even reliable? thanks
Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just reused my stockers and have been fine for over a year now. The stockers work fine and the stage 8's just aren't worth the hassle imo.

Make sure you a good gasket. If it comes off ok you can reuse the OEM but for $20 I just bought a new set from GM. They are MLS and as good as any out there.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Alright so i should be fine then i take it. gaskets came with the headers so im set there. anyone use the stage 8s and feel that they are necessary?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Stockers work just fine.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the cheap ones that came with my pacesetters. I haven't had to retighten them yet and it's been almost 2 years.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always reused the stock bolts and did the same this past weekend as well as reused the gaskets on my brother's LT install. No troubles here.

If the gaskets that came with the Kooks are paper gaskets, I'd throw them away and reuse the stock ones. You also may want to consider upgrading your motor mounts to either Poly's or Solids while you have the exhaust outta the way. Also to help prevent your new ORY from banging the floorpan. Thats just my opinion. Good luck with your install.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Trunion King

I reused my old stocker bolts. Just make sure you clean them pretty good from the factory installed locktite on the threads.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the input guys, ill just use the bolts that kooks sent with the headers as well as their gaskets. As for motor mounts im looking at the spohn tubular solid mounts from ws6 store. mumbles, what did you go with?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

i just used prothane inserts... i wouldn't go solid unless it's a track only car
Old 05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkAZws6
thanks for the input guys, ill just use the bolts that kooks sent with the headers as well as their gaskets. As for motor mounts im looking at the spohn tubular solid mounts from ws6 store. mumbles, what did you go with?
With each LT Install I've been a part of, we installed a set of Prothane Poly Motor Mounts. They're kind of a bitch to get lined up so you can reinstall the long mm bolt, but it's worth it when you start your ride up to hear your new exhaust and not have the Y-pipe slamming into the floorpan.

You said you're going with Solids, you should have no flex at all with those. You should post up and let us know how you like them. Also give us your opinion on the difficulty of installation. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iinstalled my kooks with stage 8, no problem, i also installed spohn solids and love them, it all just takes a little thought
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

One last qustion. Will i need to buy a transmission mount in conjunction with the motor mounts? poly as well? thanks, sorry for the noob question

this is what i have came up with. good? yes? no?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by blkAZws6; 05-20-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added webpage
Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkAZws6
One last qustion. Will i need to buy a transmission mount in conjunction with the motor mounts? poly as well? thanks, sorry for the noob question

this is what i have came up with. good? yes? no?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Those are the ones I've used. Used the black on my ride and red on the other two cars we've done.

I haven't ever installed a Tranny Mount. I also haven't had any trouble with my tranny bouncing around. My thoughts on that is "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Plus the tranny mount isn't as difficult to get to as the motor mounts. Save it for a future upgrade.