LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition coil/parts question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition coil/parts question?

I would like to replace the ignition module and coil on my '93 T/A. Does anyone know of a good source for this at a decent price or would Autozone (Duralast) or NAPA or something be fine for this. I will only use GM/Delphi parts for the opti/distributor/etc, but was curious if the coil or ignition module really mattered as much for brand?
Old 05-17-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO, if it's ignition or sensor related, I always use Delco.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

I kind of thought so. I was just curious if anyone had any luck with another brand or parts store parts/brands. I also was wondering if the MSD/Accell/etc. stuff Summit sells was worthwhile for coils? I only ask because MSD wires seem to be ok for everyone and the coil is pretty hard to "f" up and MSD has been doing them for a while. The module I would probably just stick with GM part # but the coil if it is better/less resistance/more turns/better performing without issues, for the same money as a GM, I would go with it. So long as no issues arise. Just thought it would be worth an ask from everyone to see who had luck or no luck using what parts for their coils/modules.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

i had an msd blaster coil, and it is too powerful. it would send sparks thru the silicone on the wires and on to the block. Just stick with the delco.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by explicit.muscle
i had an msd blaster coil, and it is too powerful. it would send sparks thru the silicone on the wires and on to the block. Just stick with the delco.
how did you determine the coil was too powerful? what kind of wires are you running?
Old 05-17-2009, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

the taylor 8.0mm otvc wire kit, the msd 8.8 otvc wire kit, and regular route msd 8.8's. all of em would let the spark thru. all wires were brand new. stock coil works fine.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by explicit.muscle
the taylor 8.0mm otvc wire kit, the msd 8.8 otvc wire kit, and regular route msd 8.8's. all of em would let the spark thru. all wires were brand new. stock coil works fine.
Interesting. I agree that the stock coil being good to go, but my car came with the MSD coil already installed with MSD 8.8 mm wires. I haven't had any problems with spark leaking.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

when i changed my ignition control module i went with AC Delco.. i also upgraded to the msd blaster coil which i believe is a little too powerful.. i constantly have my wires arcing.. if i could redo it, i would have just gotten stock or delco.. i've also heard msd's new streetfire line for coils is closer to a stock replacement and they're pretty cheap
Old 05-18-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Regular

That is the one I was looking at for aftermarket...the street blaster. But if more people have had trouble with others, I will just stick to Delco. I was just curious. I'm going to do the ICM cooling/spacer mod and figured while it was off, replace it as I am having some slight intermittent misfire issues that are getting worse, and the car has over 100k and is 15 years old. Just don't want to waste my money.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to do the ICM cooling/spacer mod and figured while it was off
is there a thread on this?? what is it??
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by collier341
is there a thread on this?? what is it??
The coil comes with studs that bolt it to the head. Remove the coil and screw the studs in the the head, then put the coil on the studs and tighten it down with nuts. It will secure the coil and ICM about a half inch off of the cylinder head, keeping it away from the heat of the cylinder head.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, new question...coil related. I went ahead and replaced the coil with a Delco one and have a question regarding the resistance. In an attempt to check the old coil before just replacing it, I measured the primary/secondary resistances. What should they be? I found the secondary to be 8200 ohms approx. on the old. The new one is at 9200 ohms. Is that right? Would the discrepancy between the old and new be a problem or are they both within spec? What should the primary resistances be? Basically, I am replacing/have replaced the coil already with a new, but would still like to know what the proper resistances are for testing purposes in the future/see if I should keep the old as a spare or something for down the road. Also, would that 1000 ohm difference weaker/less resistance cause an issue like an intermittent misfire?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

No dice?
Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

All I know it's supposed to be ~8000 ohms for each pin to coil contact point like this (still works the same way for the newer style coil):

http://shbox.com/1/coil_testing.jpg

Quick Reply: Ignition coil/parts question?