Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Troubles Found And Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Transmission Troubles Found And Fixed!

Thought I'd give everyone an update on my brother's tranny problems that were fixed. He has a 2001 Trans Am M6.

Basically a few months ago he began having trouble getting the car into 5th gear even driving normal around town. He would try to push it into 5th and it wouldn't go. It wouldn't grind, just was locked out. Now if you really forced it and kept trying it would finally go in with some grinding. But eventually he was completely locked out of 5th.

Then a few weeks ago the same thing started to happen in 6th until finally he was locked out of that gear too. He called around and one local shop said they would need to rebuild it and it would be $2600! I told him he'd be better off calling Tick because they do a Stage 2 rebuild for like $1200.

My brother decides he wants to pull his tranny and see if he can see anything himself because 5th and 6th are the easiest gears to get to. He drops it, opens it up, and sure enough the shift forks and pads for 5th and 6th were all eaten away and in pretty bad shape. He then called Tick and ordered the 5th and 6th forks and pads, I also convinced him to put a new slave. He got the parts a few days later and got it all buttoned up and its now back to normal!

Thought this story might help anyone with some similar problems.