General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ebays fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Ebays fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener rocks!

I have been installing stereos (both professionally and personally) and working on cars for years and never bothered putting Dynamat or a similar product in my car. Never saw the point since i never had subs, and didnt experience "rattles". Well DAMN! is about all i have to say about this product.

I stripped my entire interior down, cleaned all the dust, lint and dead bugs (highway with no tops has consequences) out and threw down one layer of Rattletrap. I did the floor pans, entire trunk, speaker and sail panels, and of course the doors. What a difference in noise in the car. No squeaking or rattles the last 6 F-bodys i had produced.

My car is pretty loud, and you dont realize how loud until you drive your car without carpeting and panels. They provide pretty decent sound dampening due to the carpet thickness, rubber backing and all that Crappy recycled syle padding underneath. Once i lined the car with this stuff it was like having the carpet back inside. Then,with the carpet back on top i can hear someone talking in the passenger seat again. Unbelievable level of sound reduction. Even going over bumps and normal road noise has been decreased significantly. The doors feel solid like a BMW, no more rattles when they close. Nice firm thud. I used an entire 100 square foot order doing just one layer in the car.

I have used dynamat in the past and this stuff is just as thick and seems to be made of a similar material. Only difference i can find is that it costs less than half of Dynamat! $160 @ 100sq feet shipped (1/3 price of dynamat extreme). Yes it smells a little bit, but that goes away the more you drive with your tops off

If your planning on doing this yourself, don't worry; its not all that complicated, and i certainly wouldn't consider paying someone to install it for you. All you need is basic hand tools, a star driver for the seat belts, and patience. Took me about 2 5 hour days from tear down to back together, driving it in between since its my DD. Very simple to cut and form around creases in the vehicle. Just a word of advice, pop all the drain plugs, cover the holes and then cut them out. You never know when you might need those! Make sure you remember what screws go where, ziplocks and a sharpee work great for this!

Sorry if i rambled, but i can't get enough of how good this thing sounds now! No more rattlebox! e-mail me if you have any questions. oberth1@comcast.net I AM NOT SELLING THIS, IM NOT A PRODUCT REP so dont get into applications or product/pricing related questions. Ill throw up some pics later if people want them!

Last edited by oberth1; 05-17-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oberth1
DAMN!
i just bought some to throw behind my speakers. i have high hopes now. thanx buddy
Old 05-18-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed this on my 69 camaro and WOW night and day difference in noise level even with 3" dual flows.

Will be installing this on my 93 soon
Old 05-18-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by oberth1
I have been installing stereos (both professionally and personally) and working on cars for years and never bothered putting Dynamat or a similar product in my car. Never saw the point since i never had subs, and didnt experience "rattles".
Been shortchanging them and yourself for years, huh!? Better late than never, bro, enjoy! I will never fail to add sound deadener to any car I own again, ever. Little money, LOTS of time, but damn if it doesn't make the car. Almost as good as quality shocks on these cars.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Almost as good as quality shocks on these cars.
funny you should compare it to that... i was thinking the same thing yesterday when i started hitting some bumps. Even if you just pick up a bit for the rear half of the car, the noise level from the tires, exhaust and wheel wells is unbelievable.

Quick Reply: Ebays fatmat Rattletrap sound deadener rocks!