Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

%#@n it!! Car won't fire up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry %#@n it!! Car won't fire up!!!

I did do my time searching for the answer to my problem but I can't find anything that fits my situation. I have an 01 WS6 M6 with 30k miles. I store the car in the winter and got it out about a month ago. It started up fine when i got it out. As of lately however on some of the cold mornings it will not started. Sometimes it will crank for forever and kill battery. Other times if I keep turning the key on and off instead of holding it it will start. If it doesn't start right up then it won't start at all. I put fuel system cleaner in the last tank of gas I had hoping that would solve the problem if it was moisture. i am on another tank now and same issue. Tried to start it tonight and nothing. Pushed it outside and it started up. I put Seafoam in the tank and let it run for a few minutes and then after dinner went to go for a cruise...wouldn't start. Put it in the garage with heater on (in hopes that it is just condensation), tried to start a bunch of times and nothing (just cranks). So where do I start guys? Thanks for your help and reading this long winded post.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hard to say with no fuel pressure gauge, but it sounds like a bad/failing pump...
Old 05-18-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats what it sounds like to me. Normally an engine wont start because its not getting either Fuel or Fire. At least on an old school chevy thats what it "Normally" narrowed down to. Start there first, see if your getting those two things and get back with us. Do you have stock fuel rails? If so turn your key on and then go push the shrader valve at the end of the rail on the drivers side and see if Fuel squirts out. Let us know.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Checked the fuel rail (stock) and there is fuel coming out of the valve. I need to get a pressure gauge to check how much pressure there is. The fuel pump does come on when I turn the key. On a side note, i have posted this as another thread in the internal engine section. I am not sure if this is breaking the rules for this forum. If so I will just go with one of the sections, sorry if this is not allowed. Anyhow, thanks for the help and hopefully we can get this thing figured out without having to take it to a shop.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about voltage on that battery? If its low enough, it'll crank for a bit. But wont have enough juice to run the ecm. Or is it cranking for a while like that.
The reason I ask, because you said you store it all winter

when you turn the key on, does the fuel pump cycle? have you checked fuel pressure?

Last edited by Smearin; 05-18-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

He said he is getting pressure and the pump comes on.

Good Idea to check the voltage like Smearin said, also check to see if your getting fire.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by InsaneDomestics
He said he is getting pressure and the pump comes on.

Good Idea to check the voltage like Smearin said, also check to see if your getting fire.

No he didn't say he had good pressure, he said if he pulled the schrader that fuel is at the rail...

This is how pumps act when they are headed south.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
No he didn't say he had good pressure, he said if he pulled the schrader that fuel is at the rail...

This is how pumps act when they are headed south.
I know, Im not disagreeing that the pump could be bad. Its a very good possiblity. I was just telling you that he said he checked the rail and he had fuel but he wanted to check the pressure to see how much. I dont want to start an argument because I dont wanna ruin this guys thread tryin to diagnose the problem.....Plus I agree with what you have said so far
Old 05-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

and the winner is..........ignition relay!! Thank god. That was the first thing that I checked when i got home from work as it seemed like the fastest and easiest. I switched it with the Fan 1 relay. Fired up the first time no problem. Fired up everytime after the switch. Now, if I switched the two relays, shouldn't i replace the one that was in the ignition relay originally now that it is in the fan spot? Thanks a million to all those who jumped on this thread and helped me out. Car show this weekend and i would have been pissed if i couldn't have taken the car.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:49 PM
FormerVendor

That's great news and certainly much easier!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lucky You, I checked that on mine to and it still didnt fix the problem. Congrats to you though.