Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 Trans Am advice?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Trans Am advice?

New to the forum and after 5 minutes of reading, I have decided that this forum could be a life saver for me. I have a 79 TA that I have considered installing a LS engine/4L60 into. The original block was cracked and if I can't have matching #'s then I might as well update the drive train. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated if anyone has any experience with 2nd gen swaps. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Hey there,

I have just about finished the swap in my '78 TA...what woudl you like to know specifically...aside from everything...haha

Dave
Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a really nice black one on here with the updated honeycombs like the ones year one sells. Theres also a couple nice camaros too. Search a little and you'll find a ton of info.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Edelbrock swap headers,Trans-dapt swap plates,Clam shells and mounts for a 78 camaro with a 350 chevy motor( best place to get is Eckards Camaro Parts).speartech wiring harness (unless you can do your own.)For A/C, Kwik Per. top compressor mount and sanden compressor.Buy a new stock gas tank(150.00)then go to the junk yard and get a late model (steel) gm gas tank with internal pump(100.00)( tahoe ,blazer ect),Cut top out of late model tank and weld to new tank.corvette fuel filter, stock 98 to 02 trans am radiator and fans (stuffs cheap) and if you want your speedo to work ,jagsthatrun.com speedo adaptor tail housing asm. This info should keep you busy for awhile.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row. I want to do it right the first time.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Hey there,

I have just about finished the swap in my '78 TA...what woudl you like to know specifically...aside from everything...haha

Dave
Were you able to continue to use the shaker scoop as a "shaker", or did you have to fasten it to your hood? I know it won't be functional, but I would like to mount it via bracketry somehow so that it still looks as it originally did. From the pictures, it seems that clearance may not permit this.

Did you use any certain conversion kit and what is your opinion of it?

What was the most difficult aspect of the conversion?

Last edited by buzzkiller; 05-18-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrtywalsh
Edelbrock swap headers,Trans-dapt swap plates,Clam shells and mounts for a 78 camaro with a 350 chevy motor( best place to get is Eckards Camaro Parts).speartech wiring harness (unless you can do your own.)For A/C, Kwik Per. top compressor mount and sanden compressor.Buy a new stock gas tank(150.00)then go to the junk yard and get a late model (steel) gm gas tank with internal pump(100.00)( tahoe ,blazer ect),Cut top out of late model tank and weld to new tank.corvette fuel filter, stock 98 to 02 trans am radiator and fans (stuffs cheap) and if you want your speedo to work ,jagsthatrun.com speedo adaptor tail housing asm. This info should keep you busy for awhile.
How close in depth is the pump unit from the Tahoe compared to the 2nd gen stock pick=up? Are there other types that fit? I understand they need to be steel. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

The pump asm is deeper than the bottom of the tank.It is a spring loaded asm and all you do is shorten the 3 springs and slider rods to the depth that you need so it stays to the bottom.Once you get the depth handled , drill a hole in the bottom of one of the rods and install a cotter pin so that it stays together as one unit.By using this stock fuel pump unit you don,t need any baffles or sumps.Can use just about any fuel injected v8 gm pump and tank as long as the tank is made out of steel so you can weld it to 2nd gen tank.Leave the orginal pick up and sending unit in your tank .Cut off the orginal pick up as close to the top as you can, this way if you want you can use it as a vent or just cap it off.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Launching!

And that ... people is why this i such an awesome site, the firsthand experience and knowledge combined with the willingness to ooze info
gotta love it
Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrtywalsh
The pump asm is deeper than the bottom of the tank.It is a spring loaded asm and all you do is shorten the 3 springs and slider rods to the depth that you need so it stays to the bottom.Once you get the depth handled , drill a hole in the bottom of one of the rods and install a cotter pin so that it stays together as one unit.By using this stock fuel pump unit you don,t need any baffles or sumps.Can use just about any fuel injected v8 gm pump and tank as long as the tank is made out of steel so you can weld it to 2nd gen tank.Leave the orginal pick up and sending unit in your tank .Cut off the orginal pick up as close to the top as you can, this way if you want you can use it as a vent or just cap it off.
How much do I owe you for the info? lol. Thanks, this just solved alot of wrangling over money with the wife. She thinks turbo, LS1, Blah-blah-Blah is cool but, fuel pressure she ain't quite getting yet.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

What about using an LT1 pump assembly which has a different design than the LS1? Similar procedure of cutting the top off the LT1 tank and welding it to the top of the 2nd gen tank? Or will the difference in design of the LT1 not permit this? I'm just getting into my LT1 swap and am getting my ducks in a row as well.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2009, 10:22 PM

Welcome to the site. I'm currently having a LS376/480 and T56 Magnum combo installed in my 1980 Trans Am. The information that I've gathered here (and over at Pro-Tourning.com) has been invaluable, and the members beyond helpful. If you have any specific questions, there are always people willing to give you an opinion or two. Good luck on your project!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 79 Trans Am advice?