Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil drain plug problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil drain plug problem

Well I change my oil verry often, I noticed that my oil plug has been acting stubborn going back in lately, this last time i changed it the plug acts as if its stripped or something, It will go all the way in but when you tighten it wants to keep turning.... So i took the plug back out and I see as if there is a helicoil is in there and looks like it is loose.... So i looked at my buddys oil pan and it also has the same deal in his... ( a helicoil or something in there) ....

Question is How do i need to go about fixing this problem.... Because now that my plug wont tighten verry well its leaking oil pretty good now....

Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

prob have to drill out and heli-coil it - not sure if they are from manufacture - since you dont need to crank on them.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either do what slothy said, or go to the parts store and buy a self tapping drain plug thats the next step bigger than what you have now. It will work fine...had to do that in my dads '88 Chevy with a 350 TPI motor in it.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

You are using the proper O-Ring also, right.???
Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
You are using the proper O-Ring also, right.???
yep.... so is it ok to buy the next step bigger and thread in there with the helicoil loose... ???
Old 05-18-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

this happens alot at my dads shop when changing oil.. usually clean out all the threads that are loose, and go the next size up... when you catch a tight spot, back off and go at it again... make sure when it goes all the way in that u take it out and clean the shavings off... this is usually how i go about it...
Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

what size plug would be the next size up... anybody have the part number.... I went to the part store and i believe ours is m12 by 1.75.... and the only self tapping plug i could find bigger was 1/2 inch... would that be it..... ??? Also do i need to leave the helicoil threads in there while sticking the new plug in it????

thanks alot guys
Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There shouldnt be a helicoil in there now, its just the threads from the aluminum pan that are coming out due to changing the oil a lot like you said you do.

I would go ahead and use some needle nose pliers and rip out the loose pieces and then just go ahead and screw in your new plug. Go slow and easy. If it hits a "hard" spot, back off a turn or so and then go again like s dime said. Hard spots are just where the plug is making new threads.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

so would the 1/2 plug be ok????
Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

ok the latest is i tried tightening my plug in there to see if it would catch better, then the plug just pulled the helicoil type piece out.... The piece that the oil plug threads into is factory in all cars i spok with our local dealership.... also i tried putting the 1/2 plug in there and its way to small lol!!!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

i would just drill/helicoil insert it with the proper thread and get a new drain plug.

is what u pulled out steel or alum?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Well guys it is resolved for right now atleast lol! I THINK THERE DEF NEEDS TO BE A WRITE UP ON THIS.... HERE IS THE STEPS!!!!!

I kept turning and turning my old plug in the coil and got it to pop out.... when it popped out the actual hole in our oil pan is pretty big.... so I went through about 3 trips to the parts store to get the right oversized plug to get it to work... so I ended up with Dorman part # 65217 plug size M14-1,50

Turned it in and out a few times to get the new threads in, and now it seems to be doing fine!!! Ill def keep you guys informed, hope you all dont run into the same problem, but if you do dont stress like I did, after all said and done its a easier fix than i thought!!!

thanks chris
Old 05-19-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

just be carefull with putting the drain plug back in from now on with the aluminum pans you dont need to crank them in there

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug problem