Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

TCS not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tcs

I'm driving up to MN, at the end of the week and have a question about the TCS.
When I bought the car the guy before me somehow unhooked it. The switch is gone and the end of the wire is just taped up. The plug in the rear end looks like it is plugged in. It is the one on the top of the center section right? There is another plug hanging back there but I don't know what it is for. If you just take the switch off, will it disable the TCS? Because mine isn't working, and I would really like it to work if I am going to be in MN and it snows. Do you think if I just went and got another switch from the dealership it would work again?
Thanks for any help.
Nick
Old 11-04-2003, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I think you might be able to fix it by replacing the switch unless he modified the plug. Make sure there is no resistor in there or something.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll take the tape off and take a look in a second, I'll get back to you on that.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If your car has a plug and wire going to the top of the rear center section, it did not come with ASR/TCS. ASR/TCS cars use sensors on the ends of the axles. The wiring will be there for the switch even on non ASR/TCS equipped cars. How many cables are attached to your T/B? If only one, the car does have ASR/TCS. ASR/TCS equipped cars will have a control motor mounted right behind the battery with 2 cables coming into it and one cable coming out of it going to the T/B.

Last edited by 2xLS1; 11-05-2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

you gotta love the force feedback motor on the gas pedal. Trippiest thing i've ever seen. Much more entertaining than the drive by wire 02 bmw we got, no feedback at all!

Is there not a DOORCODE to specify TCS/ASR?
that would be an easy one to look at.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'll have to look again once I get off work but I believe it has two. And I'll have to look for that control motor behind the battery also, don't remember anything like that, but then again, never really thought to look for anything like that. The wire in the dash was just taped off though, which I though was sort of weird. Normally they wouldn't use electrical tape for something like that at the factory would they?
Old 11-05-2003, 09:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Nope.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

The TCS when it first happened to me scared the crap out of me, I thought I broke the friggin pedal....I think its the worst thing around....
Old 11-06-2003, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

When it is keeping you from sliding all over the place on ice you won't mind it so much.
None of the dealerships have it in stock around here, I think I'll stop in Richmond and see if any of them have it up there on my way through. Or just call ahead to MN and have them order one for me and have it there early next week.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the car didn't come with it from the factory, you can't just add the switch and magically have ASR/TCS. There are many other components that go with it including a 4 channed ABS system instead of a 3 channel. And yes, the factory uses what looks like electrical tape on wiring harnesses.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:14 PM
10 Second Club

I hope you don't plan on driving it here in MN during winter. Winters here are brutal and will tear up your car in no time.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I know, I'm from MN, that's why I wanted the TCS to be working. But it was warm most of the time I was there. But the colder air was fun!, nice dry roads and cold air, can't beat it. I had a lot of freinds that wanted to go for a ride while I was home. I noticed a few other things while I was home too. The rear window defroster doesn't work for ****, the heater core did work pretty good at heating the cab up pretty quick. I went from 90 degrees one day to opening morning of deer season the next at nearly -10!!!! That was one hell of a change. Especially since I missed all of last winter sitting in the persian gulf. My blood wasn't used to it anymore. I froze my ***** off!
I know it isn't some magic switch, I have never really looked to see if it was equipped with the rest of it. Didn't really know what I was looking for, that's why I was asking about the other plug that was disconnected above the rear diff.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

hay im in atlanta, my rear defroster sucks too. I wonder if we can amp it up somehow? Relays?

my 00 z28 rear defroster bites ***. Im bout to go buy some of that spray **** that removes ice. It works REALLY well.

If it doesn't rain you can always just put carboard on the window, that will eliminate the junk, but if it ices you'll be screwed. Best thing is a garage lol. Time to clean mine out.

Quick Reply: TCS not working