Couple of questions about using used 02 sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple of questions about using used 02 sensors...

I bought a used pair from a c5 vette, put them on about a week ago, and gradually my car has been running worse and worse. Someone at work told me today that when you use used 02 sensors that those sensors are "tuned"(for lack of a better word) for that previous car, so when you try to switch the car, the 02 sensor doesnt work as it should for that car. Does that make any sense? And is that true? I want to swap the old 02 sensors back on, but havent been able to meet up with my buddy with the tools.

Also, I have to make a trip to SA tomorrow morning for a dental appointment. Do you guys think driving my car down there will mess something up on my car??

Thanks for any help

Patrick.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

Patrick, that guy is full of ****. Your 02 sensor are not tuned if you will. You will need your cars tune adjusted if you have no cats to fool your sensors into thinking there are cats. I bet that's what he is talking about. Are you throwing any codes or a ses light? I hate to say it, but it sounds like you bought some bad ones.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

O2/lambda sensors are made for certain ranges of AF (or equivalence ratio), and it only works within this small region of change. Different cars may use different sensors in that they are made to produce different output voltages, but switching between two similar cars should not be an issue.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

I would slap that guy in the mouth and told him to get in his civic and leave...