LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spec Stage 2 Chatter ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spec Stage 2 Chatter ?

i have 120 miles on my new spec stage 2 clutch and its chattering rather significantly. is that normal ? is there anyone else thats had this happen to them with that clutch ? i resurfaced the flywheel and torqued everything down perfectly. im just wondering if i should be concerned about it or not
Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Do you let the RPM's go real low when you take off? If the rpm's aren't high enough it will make the chatter much worse. Also if you're like powershifting or slipping the clutch too much for break in it can make it worse. Spec clutches to have a tendency to do this though. All this is hard to say though since we can't ride in the car and feel it.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by za355tx
Do you let the RPM's go real low when you take off? If the rpm's aren't high enough it will make the chatter much worse. Also if you're like powershifting or slipping the clutch too much for break in it can make it worse. Spec clutches to have a tendency to do this though. All this is hard to say though since we can't ride in the car and feel it.
from a stop theirs almost no vibration going through the car from the clutch. everyonce in awhile there is but thats because of (like you said) the rpms were alittle to low. but when i sit at idle you can hear it chattering. and when i press the clutch in it goes away. just wanted to know if that happens with this clutch
Old 05-19-2009, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a spec 2 plus and it has some chatter. sometimes worse then others. In stop and go traffic and it starts to get hot it grabs like a bitch and gets kinda difficult to deal with because it wont slip so i have to rev it up higher. I want 4.30's so it will be easier to drive, i just cant swing a gear swap or a rear end right now.

Edit: Just saw the second post.
What you are describing is trans bearing noise. Your transmission needs no bearings. So does mine, around these many miles they start ti get noisy. I will be rebuilding mine in a month.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
I have a spec 2 plus and it has some chatter. sometimes worse then others. In stop and go traffic and it starts to get hot it grabs like a bitch and gets kinda difficult to deal with because it wont slip so i have to rev it up higher. I want 4.30's so it will be easier to drive, i just cant swing a gear swap or a rear end right now.

Edit: Just saw the second post.
What you are describing is trans bearing noise. Your transmission needs no bearings. So does mine, around these many miles they start ti get noisy. I will be rebuilding mine in a month.
if its that then damn i need new bearings lol. i want to do that but dont have the cashflow for that right now. nor the time. i know specs chatter but it just seemed like it was alot
Old 05-19-2009, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

sounds like a throw out bearing, pretty normal in our cars and can sound like *** in the drive threw.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AChotrod
sounds like a throw out bearing, pretty normal in our cars and can sound like *** in the drive threw.
ugh ! dont say throw out bearing!!!! my last one blew out on me haha. but it might just be that. when i took off my slaver cylinder there was alot of chatter coming from the fork off the throw out bearing
Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

My old car rattled so bad it was ugly, then other times it was fine, never actually gave me a prob.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AChotrod
My old car rattled so bad it was ugly, then other times it was fine, never actually gave me a prob.
yeah mine isnt giving me a problem its just making the sound. i wanted to make sure it wasnt a problem.

thanks for the feedback guys. i feel alot better about it and hopefully wont see anything bad happen
Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

SPEC Stage 2 chatter. I'm very familiar with these words!

I installed a Stage 2 last year in my TA and was persuaded NOT to resurface my flywheel, which was my mistake. But it chattered like no other. We installed a new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and disc. Every single shift was extreme chatter even after 3,000 miles and a good breakin. I took it out, bought a new disc, and had my flywheel and pressure plate resurfaced. I broke in the new disc GENTLY for 500-600 miles.The chatter has 95% gone away, but I blame the rest on a old wornout transmission. Take it very easy on the clutch for the first 500 miles. I never had any clutch drops or high speeds runs until maybe 1,000 or so. I didn't really feel it smooth out comfortably until maybe 1,000 or so, so give it some more time.. The first few hundred miles was pretty freakin chattery, so I wouldn't worry too much, it'll smoothen out as long as you break it in properly.
For your viewing pleasure. My pressure plate before and after resurfacing.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=HoLLo;11625683]SPEC Stage 2 chatter. I'm very familiar with these words!

I installed a Stage 2 last year in my TA and was persuaded NOT to resurface my flywheel, which was my mistake. But it chattered like no other. We installed a new pilot bearing, throwout bearing, pressure plate, and disc. Every single shift was extreme chatter even after 3,000 miles and a good breakin. I took it out, bought a new disc, and had my flywheel and pressure plate resurfaced. I broke in the new disc GENTLY for 500-600 miles.The chatter has 95% gone away, but I blame the rest on a old wornout transmission. Take it very easy on the clutch for the first 500 miles. I never had any clutch drops or high speeds runs until maybe 1,000 or so. I didn't really feel it smooth out comfortably until maybe 1,000 or so, so give it some more time.. The first few hundred miles was pretty freakin chattery, so I wouldn't worry too much, it'll smoothen out as long as you break it in properly.
For your viewing pleasure. My pressure plate before and after resurfacing.

damn man that pressure plate and flywheel have some heat marks on them! haha thanks for the tip man. i have 120 easyish miles on her now. spec said give it about 50 miles before you can drive it spiritedly which is what i plan on doing. the only thing i did is ill keep it in a lower gear and get the RPM's high and let the engine break to seat the piston rings. think thatd hurt the clutch ?

Edit: i like the ammo can haha what do you have in that ?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
damn man that pressure plate and flywheel have some heat marks on them! haha thanks for the tip man. i have 120 easyish miles on her now. spec said give it about 50 miles before you can drive it spiritedly which is what i plan on doing. the only thing i did is ill keep it in a lower gear and get the RPM's high and let the engine break to seat the piston rings. think thatd hurt the clutch ?

Edit: i like the ammo can haha what do you have in that ?
Clutch dumps and 6k shifts hurt it mostly. I never went above like 3000 until after 500 miles probably. And the ammo can just has nuts and bolts haha
Old 05-19-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Clutch dumps and 6k shifts hurt it mostly. I never went above like 3000 until after 500 miles probably. And the ammo can just has nuts and bolts haha
haha well that certainly will do it! the only reason why im showing my engine high rpms is because its brand new and need to break everything in

Quick Reply: Spec Stage 2 Chatter ?