Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag INFLATOR delete?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag INFLATOR delete?

Has anyone deleted the airbag electronics system and inflator system... Unsoldered the bulb... take out the inflators and leave the dash/steering wheel complete...

Now before you go saying this could dangerous I am an airbag tech

This car is my DD and I know how airbags can be more of a danger then a help. Airbag deployment= basically automatic totaling out of the car if wrecked...

I want to delete the sensors, the module, the excess wiring, the inflators and the bulb..

You guys got anything for me???
Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the bulb twists out of the cluster and the air bag can be removed from the steering wheel cover. the sensors unbolt and the wires you rip out. its pretty self explanatory.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your an air bag tech and your asking these questions? I'm a bit confused.

If your looking to lose the weight, pull the dash and remove the passenger side airbag and bracket. remove the module under the center console. The steering wheel bag doesn't realy weigh all that much.

If you want to just turn the system off, unplug the module under the center console.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

OP--- I think you are incorrect about the airbags being dangerous..... People said the same things about seatbelts.

Anyhow, what is the thing under the center consol that I can remove for the airbags? I am in the middle of a !AC/P-Airbag and have the dash and center consol apart.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

its a raw aluminum module behind the shifter. about 4"x5" in size. It has a bright yellow connector plugged into it.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by promod1955
its a raw aluminum module behind the shifter. about 4"x5" in size. It has a bright yellow connector plugged into it.
yup.

Work in federal explosives plant since HS... then tell me its not dangerous.. lol..

My main concern is I let my dad(heart issues) and my grandparents take the ride out to cruise occasionally. Airbags WOULD kill them.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
yup.

Work in federal explosives plant since HS... then tell me its not dangerous.. lol..

My main concern is I let my dad(heart issues) and my grandparents take the ride out to cruise occasionally. Airbags WOULD kill them.
I am not hating.... I am actually in the process of taking my AC, airbags, and Airbag module out as well....

Although I am doing it for weight savings... Not safety.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:28 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

yup.

Yeah, I'm sure you worked on explosives for the government when you were in HS.

Airbag tech? That's an actual job? Is that like "oil change tech" or "tire tech?"

Give us a break dude, you don't have to lie to make friends here.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

if you want to start fights over this then call my employer or send me a pm

google airbag plant in my hometown.

Troll.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TS6
Yeah, I'm sure you worked on explosives for the government when you were in HS.

Airbag tech? That's an actual job? Is that like "oil change tech" or "tire tech?"

Give us a break dude, you don't have to lie to make friends here.
Harsh way to put it but he basically said what alot of people where thinking.

Anyhow, as for the airbag delete.... ITs not dangerous.... Just unplug the battery and there is no electrical signal to be sent to the module....

I just did it and made it out alive...lol!
Old 05-23-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya any of the yellow weather pack is for airbag. its right to the left of the Ebrake mount.

looks like this upper, right
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11...S/IMG_1795.jpg
Old 05-23-2009, 08:16 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

if you want to start fights over this then call my employer or send me a pm

google airbag plant in my hometown.

Troll.
So you're an "airbag technician" but don't know how to do this? Hell, I'm not even a mechanic and I completely disassembled my entire airbag system and cut out the actuator (I have no idea what the technical term is for it) and reassembled it to look stock.

Your scenario is like my doctor asking me if I know where he should cut to remove my tonsils.

Anyway, if you have to ask then you'd probably be better off not playing with it, you could get hurt.

Also, there's no way you worked on explosives for the federal government when you were in HS, I don't give a **** what you say. Those guys require not only an actual degree but experience. I highly doubt you had much to offer at 17-18. Maybe you swept the floors there, even that I doubt due to security restrictions. But keep on with the stories, I love watching people dig holes.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TS6
So you're an "airbag technician" but don't know how to do this? Hell, I'm not even a mechanic and I completely disassembled my entire airbag system and cut out the actuator (I have no idea what the technical term is for it) and reassembled it to look stock.

Your scenario is like my doctor asking me if I know where he should cut to remove my tonsils.

Anyway, if you have to ask then you'd probably be better off not playing with it, you could get hurt.

Also, there's no way you worked on explosives for the federal government when you were in HS, I don't give a **** what you say. Those guys require not only an actual degree but experience. I highly doubt you had much to offer at 17-18. Maybe you swept the floors there, even that I doubt due to security restrictions. But keep on with the stories, I love watching people dig holes.

Who cares.... Whether or not he is an airbag technician or a Windbag techie doesn't make a difference. The procedure for removing the airbag is safe.

(1) disconect the battery
(2) remove the dash
(3) remove the PS airbag by first unpluging it
(4) recheck the battery to make sure it is disconected
(5) disconect the CPU and remove the module under the center consol
(6) Remove the Drivers side airbag.

Seriously though, this is done to remove weight from our cars. IF you think you are making your car safer then you might as well cut your break lines while your at it.

Airbags are required for a reason. They reduce the casuality/injury rate during automobile accidents. It is well documented.

This is from an official "National Highway Traffic Safety Administration" study:

"In frontal crashes, frontal airbags reduce driver fatalities by 29 percent and fatalities of right front passengers aged 13 and older by 32 percent. The fatality reduction in frontal crashes is larger for unbelted drivers (34 percent), compared to belted drivers (21 percent)."

I don't know why you think that the airbag will increase the risk of a passanger with a heart condition. The crash itself is very tramuatic and tissue trama (resulting from a collision with an unforgiving dash or windshield) will be more likely to cause a person to go into shock.

I am not saying that you should keep the airbags under any circumstances. I did it to reduce the race weight of my street/strip car. I would not consider it for a car that I drive daily. However, you may have a different risk tolerance than me.

The point of this whole speil is that if you want to remove saftey features then do so... but don't try and ligitimize it by claiming they are ineffective when the expert consensus (backed up by statistical data, mind you) suggests the contrary.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Didnt ask for help just wanted to know if there were any issues I was going to run into.

Like i said if you dont believe me call my employer

I love how all kinds of decent tech threads get turned to trash because of people posting where they dont believe the OP or not.