A letter from a small town Dodge dealer. Pretty interesting.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default A letter from a small town Dodge dealer. Pretty interesting.

Got this in an email. Sucks for them.

a letter from the president of a small Dodge dealership in Alvin, TX:

I don't know Mr. Parks, and cannot vouch for what he says, but a colleague knows him and the franchise and says they are an honest, community-minded business that has been important to a small town.

The decisions by Chrysler and GM - now largely owned by the federal government and the UAW, or deeply indebted to them - to close small dealerships puzzles and troubles me. From a business standpoint, I don't see how it makes sense. Bankruptcies usually require the closing or selling of unprofitable assets. But apparently, many of the small dealerships being closed are, despite their sizes, decent profit centers. This particular dealership is profitable and growing. The whole thing just smells funny...

Regardless, stories like this need to be heard. Mr. Parks' letter follows.

Chris

May 16, 2009

Dear America,

Recently, Chrysler, LLC notified Rogers Dodge, Inc., in Alvin, Texas of their anticipated closing of our dealership. Chrysler has pled their story quite publicly for several months in support of their request of billions of taxpayer dollars. This is our story.

We occupy a 3-year old Dodge-designed building for which we paid cash when it was built. It was appraised at $3,700,000 in 2007. We qualified as a Five Star dealer for the 2009 calendar year. We have remained profitable through all of this downturn. We have in excess of $1,000,000 in working capital in our dealership. We are selling at or above market share. We pay $75,000 per year in local property taxes and collect millions of dollars annually in state sales taxes. We employ 38 Alvin, Texas residents who all pay property tax, sales tax and income tax.

The owner, Mr. Peter Mankins, my uncle, owns 6 other dealerships, has no liens on any of his properties or franchises, and has a net worth in excess of $30 million. He has maintained a car dealership in Texarkana, Texas since the late 1960s. He purchased that dealership from my grandfather, who purchased it from my great-grandfather, who rode shotgun next to his father when he was 9, as they were settling the Oklahoma Territory. My great-grandfather started in the automotive business in the early 1900s as a motorcycle repairman, which eventually segued into an International Harvester franchise, and, subsequently, a Pontiac franchise. I have a large family, almost all of which are connected with auto dealerships in one way or another. I state all of this so that there is no confusion by Chrysler or the bankruptcy court or the US government over whether we are a group of half-committed dealers - we are not short-term auto dealers/we are committed over several generations. Chrysler and its dealers have been portrayed in the media as regressive small-town morons. Speaking solely for the dealers, I assure you this is not the case.

In the past year, we have embarked on several creative initiatives in order to remain profitable and out of bankruptcy court. We have become a very competitive used vehicle internet dealer by patterning ourselves after the most successful used vehicle internet dealers in the country. Selling more used vehicles than new vehicles is one of the stated criteria upon which Chrysler based their decision to close us. Would Chrysler have preferred their dealers join them in bankruptcy court? It was never our desire to allow ourselves to be a burden on the American taxpayers; nor do we plan this in the future. Selling more used vehicles has enabled us to not only avoid layoffs, but to actually grow our employee population from 25 to 38 during the period of May 2008 to May 2009, a 52 percent increase. Further, in the first four months of 2009, our new vehicle sales have increased by approximately 50% by employing the same innovative practices within our new vehicle department. Though Dodge district sales are down by about 50%, our new vehicle sales actually increased comparing April 2008 and April 2009. In our parts department, we have created one of very few eBay parts stores selling new factory parts. We have listed in excess of 4,000 Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep factory parts and are by far the largest internet seller of OEM DCJ parts in the world. This has increased our monthly parts sales by approximately 35% in a short 5 month period. In our service department, we have recently added an additional service advisor, a service manager, and three additional master technicians, have endeavored to maintain the least expensive oil change in town and, effective this month, extended our service hours to 14 hours per weekday and 10 hours on Saturdays. We were on track to move to 24-hour/7-day a week service hours by the end of 2009. Just this month, we hired a graduating University of Houston student as a photographer and videographer. We began the process of taking studio-quality photographs of our inventory, something which no other auto retailer in the country is doing. Evidence of our early progress with this can be found in a slideshow on our homepage at http://www.rogersdodge.com/ <http://www.rogersdodge.com/> .

When Chrysler needed dealers to purchase inventory so that the factories could keep operating and their employees could retain their paychecks, we complied and ordered 10 months of inventory. Our interest on inventory swelled from $15,000 monthly to beyond $50,000 monthly. Effectively, we took pay cuts in order to support Chrysler's cause. When Mr. Landry uttered his veiled threat that Chrysler would "remember those who supported us and those who didn't," we felt that we had done our part to support Chrysler and its workers. Now, we realize that we were just supporting our own demise. Last week, we were given three weeks to dispose of five months of inventory. In doing so, we anticipate losing in excess of $1 million - we may actually have to inject capital into our business in order to go out of business. Our $2 million plus in equity in our franchise is now completely worthless. Further, we now face the very real possibility that our new building will sit empty for months or years until someone is willing to purchase it.

Despite all of this, Chrysler is taking our franchise so that it can be given to our neighbor across the street, Ron Carter Autoland. Ron Carter Autoland has the local Ford, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Jeep, Pontiac, Buick and GMC franchises. They occupy a 40 to 50 year old building that does not comply with any manufacturer's design standards. They have recently moved their Ford, Chrysler and Jeep franchises into the same building, a violation of their franchise agreements with both Ford and Chrysler. They have recently cut their service hours, consolidated their used vehicle operations and laid off many employees. The manager, and a major shareholder, of Ron Carter Autoland is Mr. Cary Wilson, President-elect of the Houston Auto Dealers Association - apparently Mr. Wilson's political affiliation is very important to Chrysler, the bankruptcy court and the US government.

How exactly does transferring our franchise to our neighbor serve Chrysler's stated purpose of thinning out dealer numbers? The franchise will still exist - it will just have a new owner.

Though I am a Washington, DC-educated attorney and former employee of the US Department of Labor and the US Senate and an active advocate of the American way of life, it is difficult for me to view this abrogation of our franchise rights as anything more than a manipulation of US bankruptcy court and law so that Chrysler LLC can transfer wealth between dealers they like and those they dislike, those that have agreed to under-table favors and those that haven't, and to settle old vendettas. This is not the purpose of US bankruptcy protection and, surely, it isn't why the US Treasury has given billions to Chrysler to keep them in business.

This is our story; however, it is, unfortunately, not unique. Allowing this manipulation of US bankruptcy law will set a precedent that effectively invalidates all state franchise laws. Though technically a question of law, many of these closings are politically motivated. Thus, anyone with any interest in retaining the US economic system in its current form must contact their political representatives immediately. Small businesses will have no legal protections if these closings are allowed to occur. Rome is burning, America - please wake up.

Nicholas Parks, President

Rogers Dodge, Inc.

Alvin, Texas
Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM
LS7 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that really sucks. They should try and get some coverage from the media if this is truly the case. Reporters would love a story like this.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Teching In

I heard the same thing is supposedly happening to Archer Dodge......
Old 05-20-2009, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REV_IT_UP
Yeah if you go to Archer Dodge's website it says there last day of business in June 6th, but when we were up there last week they said they werent going anywhere..who knows. What are the big three doing wrong, you dont hear anything about Toyota, Honda or any other foreign makers talking about closing.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SLV_WS6
Yeah if you go to Archer Dodge's website it says there last day of business in June 6th, but when we were up there last week they said they werent going anywhere..who knows. What are the big three doing wrong, you dont hear anything about Toyota, Honda or any other foreign makers talking about closing.
They are all taking hits. Their respective governments however won't "bail them out" though unlike GM/Chrysler.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Wow! that sucks...
Old 05-20-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I believe the situation described in the letter is probably true. I live in Alvin and have heard for a couple years now that the Ron Carter dealership has attempted/made offers to purchase Roger's Dodge on several occasions.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by REV_IT_UP
Yes you are correct, I am a employee at Archer Dodge and we were told that June 6th we will be closing our doors as a dodge dealership. The owner Bob Archer sent out a petion form aournd the dealership to try and keep the dealership open. From what ive heard thats not going to change a thing. As for the Archer company itself they will probably open its doors again not as a Chrystler base dealership but probably as used cars or probably another make.

As for Rodgers Dodge yea they will be closing cause i have a freind who works for them and they said they will be closing around the same time as Archer or sooner.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

Sucks for the dealers being effected.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Non union mabye???
Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

The owner, Mr. Peter Mankins, my uncle, owns 6 other dealerships, has no liens on any of his properties or franchises, and has a net worth in excess of $30 million. He has maintained a car dealership in Texarkana, Texas since the late 1960s. He purchased that dealership from my grandfather, who purchased it from my great-grandfather, who rode shotgun next to his father when he was 9, as they were settling the Oklahoma Territory. My great-grandfather started in the automotive business in the early 1900s as a motorcycle repairman, which eventually segued into an International Harvester franchise, and, subsequently, a Pontiac franchise. I have a large family, almost all of which are connected with auto dealerships in one way or another. I state all of this so that there is no confusion by Chrysler or the bankruptcy court or the US government over whether we are a group of half-committed dealers - we are not short-term auto dealers/we are committed over several generations. Chrysler and its dealers have been portrayed in the media as regressive small-town morons. Speaking solely for the dealers, I assure you this is not the case.
Thats true, Pete Mankins has been in this town for AGES! Last I heard he sold out to another local dealership owner, one of the Orrs. I really hate to hear that, and it really doesn't suprise me at all. The ones who are above, don't have to follow the rules......
Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you think about how poorly the Big 3's upper management has been the last couple of decades this really doesn't come as a surprise. It truly is sad something like Archer or Roger's has to close yet a POS like Clear Lake Dodge is to remain open. Or at least that's what I've heard about CLD.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

sad state of affairs... he should re-open with another brand as a big FU to Chrysler and the douche bag competition across the street.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

You should consider sending this to all the local TV stations and papers.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sad story....I hate Ron Carter dealerships. Never had a good dealing with them. Ive heard good things about Rodgers though.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sure is one emotional letter and describes a shitty situation. Now we would just need to hear a response from the other side regarding the facts why this particular dealership was the one to be closed and not the other one across the street.

Originally Posted by Shackleford
You should consider sending this to all the local TV stations and papers.
If I was in such position the writer of the letter is, I sure as hell would've contacted somebody already.

Maybe he has his reasons he hasn't...? Or maybe the story hasn't just been published/aired yet?

Not pointing any fingers at anybody. It definetely is a shitty situation for everybody involved. Just wondering, that's all...
Old 05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...ge_dealer.html

very sad indeed
Old 05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlrz28
Sad story....I hate Ron Carter dealerships. Never had a good dealing with them. Ive heard good things about Rodgers though.
I will never buy from ron carter. I made an attempt once and they treated me very badly and I walked out and purchased a vehicle from another dealer same week.

Rogers dodge had a shitty service dept who I hate with a passion but they werent bad as far as sales.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Houston Chronicle posted numbers for the highest volume new car selling dealers in the area for 2008. As I recall, in the top 5 were four Toyota dealers and one was a Honda Dealer. The top two Toyota lots sold over 6000 new cars each while the closest domestic lot sold around 2000. Much of the reason is because the import dealers do not saturate their dealer market as the domestics do. There are no where near the number of Toyota lots per new Toyota sold as there are Chevy lots for every new Chevy sold. This is part of the reason you see GM and Chrysler shutting down franchises. Ford did this on its own a few years back and Ford managing to stay somewhat afloat right now.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by XplicitPerformance
I will never buy from ron carter. I made an attempt once and they treated me very badly and I walked out and purchased a vehicle from another dealer same week.

Rogers dodge had a shitty service dept who I hate with a passion but they werent bad as far as sales.
I agree on both. I did not find the service manager at Rodger's to be very friendly, so I did not go back.

I sat down with Ron Carter Toyota (looking at a used diesel truck) once and ended up laughing in their face and leaving. I guess they were used to dealing with retarded rednecks from the outskirts of Alvin or something.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A letter from a small town Dodge dealer. Pretty interesting.