Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone else have this problem with their OEM slave?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else have this problem with their OEM slave?

I tried to get a socket on the bleeder valve of the slave cylinder last night, and it is not physically possible. My problem is that the bleeder nipple is touching the side of the case, so there is no room for a socket to slip around it. I was using a very small 6-point 1/4" drive 7/16 socket (and also tried 11mm), with no luck. I know for a fact this car is 100% stock and has never had any clutch or trans work done in the past. Is it even possible to install the slave cylinder incorrectly so that the bleeder valve doesn't line up with the access-hole? I'm not looking forward to dropping the trans to fix this....GRRRRRR

Oh the point of all this was so I could flush the old fluid out with fresh. I have no doubt that the original fluid from 98 is what's in there now. Black as death!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, maybe it was turned either completely clockwise/counter clockwise before the two 10mm bolts were torqued down when it was installed. There might be enough play to cause the problem you're describing. It sucks, but you might have to drop the tranny in order to fix this.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey make a small dent on the bottom side of the floor where your ratchet would hit so its right in line with the bleeder screw. then go into your car and find the dent u made. cut a hole big enough for something to grind away the material on the trans. and ull have it made. fill in the hole with epoxy or something like that. u can also use that hole to bleed ur clutch to, that way u dont need two ppl. just a thought dont know if u want to make a hole in the floor but i dont see anyother way unless u drop the trans. and that sucks i just did it twice. good luck
Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang dude I'd rather pull the trans out than put a hole in the floorpan.

And I talked to a few different guys that said they have ran into this problem with F-body's before. Apparently the slave can be tweaked a bit either way before the bolts are tight, which makes it impossible to get a socket on the bleeder screw. SWEET thanks GM!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

u dont have to make a huge hole. that was just an option. some ppl make a small hole in the floor to bleed the system by them selfs thats why i threw it out there. i myself wouldnt cut a hole in my car either but some ppl wouldnt care i guess
Old 05-23-2009, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, not the best design for a hydraulic clutch. If you do pull the trans you may as well just replace the slave with a stocker and buy a remote bleeder kit for it so you'll never have to **** with it again!