LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shimming the starter...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Shimming the starter...

Well my car started acting up yesterday. It sounds like the starter is not fully disengaging the starter. I can hear the starter turning for a while, even after the car has started. It lasts for like 10-15 seconds or until I can blip the throttle a few times. It's a new reman starter. I am going to see if I can swap it under warranty. If not, I want to shim it and see if that helps. I have searched but no one actually says exactly how they shimmed their starter or by how much.

Will a washer in between the starter and the block (on each bolt?) be enough?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just buy a set of starter shims at your local parts store, they're cheap and easy to install. Just loosen the inner bolt and take the outer bolt out, and slide the shim(s) in, then bolt it back down. I had to shim mine too, I only needed one though.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Purple95Z28
Just buy a set of starter shims at your local parts store, they're cheap and easy to install. Just loosen the inner bolt and take the outer bolt out, and slide the shim(s) in, then bolt it back down. I had to shim mine too, I only needed one though.
From what you are describing is sounds like you are only shiming the shorter (outer bolt). That would move the starter gear closer to the flywheel. That doesn't sound right to me. I'll look for some shims at Autozone.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
From what you are describing is sounds like you are only shiming the shorter (outer bolt). That would move the starter gear closer to the flywheel. That doesn't sound right to me. I'll look for some shims at Autozone.
No the shims have "U" cuts at the end of them and that is the quickest way to install them.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by whytryz28
No the shims have "U" cuts at the end of them and that is the quickest way to install them.
Gotcha, I see what they look like now. Kragen has a set for 5 bucks. Thanks.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

The reman starter I bought came with a set of shims, I didn't use them because mine didn't need it. But basically it is trial and error. You first put the starter on with no shims then add shims or half shims till it sounds normal. The starter ususlly needs to be shimmed if it makes a high pitched wine/grind sound from being too close to the flywheel.

I would try to get another starter under warranty and tell them you need a shim kit, they should have them avaliable.

I bet the solenoid in the starter is going bad, which doesn't allow the gear to retract normally.

Has anything changed, did you check to make sure the starter isn't loose?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Update

Well I got under the car, unbolted, and inspected the starter. Everything looked fine. So I added a 1/16" shim and it changed nothing. I have another starter in my garage that I might throw on for a quick test.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Well I got under the car, unbolted, and inspected the starter. Everything looked fine. So I added a 1/16" shim and it changed nothing. I have another starter in my garage that I might throw on for a quick test.
Yeah sounds like the bendix isn't retracting all the way. Its most likely the starter as stated before.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Banned

I kept breaking starters and switched to a heavy duty one. I shimmed mine while the exhaust was off and just used washers. It was nice and simple.

Quick Reply: Shimming the starter...