Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

k-member questions (did a search)

Old 11-04-2003, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default k-member questions (did a search)

How does installing a k-member affect streetability? Does it harshen the ride a lot or is not that bad? Also with shaving off ~40 pounds off the front end, does that affect the way your car looks / sits? Meaning is there going to be a larger gap between the fender and the front tires with a k-member installed?

Sorry for all the questions, but that is what I was looking for in the search and couldn't find any answers to those questions.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Old 11-04-2003, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered a set today. This is the description that made up my mind. " BMR Tubular K-members are designed to provide a lightweight alternative to the factory k-member as well as provide additional clearance for aftermarket headers and turbo systems. Our unique design features integrated frame stands that replace the factory cast iron frame stands. This additional weight reduction allows us to use larger diameter tubing and thicker mounting plates for additional strength over the competition. This means that you can use the k-member for street use, road race, autocross, or drag strip use without worrying about long term fatigue."

I am curious of whatt to expect as well.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

It might affect ride height, some say it raises, some say it lowers, I'm having a hard time seeing either. Guess I will once I install mine. You won't get a 40 pound reduction in the k-member alone, more like 27-30. It shouldn't harshen the ride any by itself AFAIK.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

I have a PA K member and A arms. I saved 38 pounds. It is not for street use. And they tell you that on their web site. Too weak in my opinion and these rod ends are going to wear out quickly in rain and dirty conditions. The rod ends supplied are the cheapest available. They are not self lubricating or dirt protected. If you add lubrication then they collect even more dirt.

Ride height is about the same. I can tell no difference in driving once I bought one new rod end to get my alignment within specs.

If you get one be sure it's not the PA. It's an installers night mare.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

I have the BMR K-member. Measured weight difference (assuming you only get the k-member, and not the a-arms) was ~25lbs. I installed mine at the same time as my lowering springs, but it doesn't seem to sit any differently than other lowered TAs around...

Also, as far as streetability - I've had mine on for over a year now. Put on ~9K miles, a few 1/4 passes, and several autocrosses. No problems yet - though, if it had been an option then, I probably would have gone with an LG Motorsports part...

peace,
Shane
Old 11-05-2003, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

is the LG motorsports stuff that much better?

I plan on doing BMR's k-member/a-arms down the road...
Old 11-05-2003, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

K-member would be fine for everyday, as long as you don't add the a-arms. I had the bmr lower a-arms also, and had 3 alignments in 800 miles. Driving interstate with potholes was an uneasy experience also!!!! It would pop and creek the more you drove it...in terms of the metal would heat up. It was fairly loud, and would scare anyone within a 20' radius. You have to fabricate your brake line holders yourself. The install went pretty well, except that I had to lengthen the steering shaft. If I did it again..... I would only do the lower a-arms if it was NOT a daily driver. Since there is no moving spots on the k-member itself, I would probably put that on to save the 25#'s. In terms of ride height, I really don't know......as I put on Hal shocks and drag springs on at the same time....
Old 11-05-2003, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here is one pic of it.....
Attached Thumbnails k-member questions  (did a search)-mvc-009s.jpg  
Old 11-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Restricted User

I have the BMR K-Member with the Upper and Lower Control Arms. It definatly lowered my ride height about 1/2" - 1". I really haven't driven it much but I do drive it on the street with no problems...
Old 11-06-2003, 11:59 PM
TECH Regular

Is the LG unit good for everyday driving? Does it have the same problems the BMR has?
Old 11-07-2003, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not even sure the LG unit is *out* yet. But, LG actually *races* these cars, and I would trust them to know better what to test for on a 'race' part.
That being said, I haven't actually had problems with my BMR, I guess I would just have more 'trust' in an LG part.
:dunno:

Originally Posted by pewter99SS
Is the LG unit good for everyday driving? Does it have the same problems the BMR has?
Shane

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: k-member questions (did a search)