Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

1979 Bronco rear-end for my Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1979 Bronco rear-end for my Trans Am?

Well, its always been in the back of my mind that one day my 10 bolt is gonna die. If that happens I would want to spend my money on a Ford 9 inch rear.

Then I had a thought, I own a 1979 Ford Bronco, does it have a 9 inch rear? I started googling and sure enough on wikipedia it said my year Bronco came standard with a 9" rear axle!

So if my 10 bolt ever takes a crap, I can use that 9" from my Bronco and have a bad *** rear end and save a chunk of money right? Or is that rear in my Bronco not really the same kind of rear people get when they upgrade to a ford 9"?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:37 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Same kind of rear end, but not the same thing. You'd need to make sure it's the right width to start. Then it's going to need a torque arm mount, spring perches, lower control arm mounts, abs sensor, and are the axles the correct bolt pattern. Just a few things to think about...
Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss1
Same kind of rear end, but not the same thing. You'd need to make sure it's the right width to start. Then it's going to need a torque arm mount, spring perches, lower control arm mounts, abs sensor, and are the axles the correct bolt pattern. Just a few things to think about...
Thanks for the info. I would think I could cut off the torque arm mount, spring perches, and control arm mounts from the 10 bolt and weld them to the 9" ?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:26 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

The torque arm mount is cast into the center section of your 10-bolt, so that won't work. Depending on how good you are, you may be able to cut off the other mounts and use them on the 9". It's going to take a lot of research, and a lot of work in hopes that it you might save some money. In the end, it may nickel and dime you do death.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Doh, that sounds like something I'd want to avoid. Probably would be best to just get a 9" from one of the sponsers for around $2350, thanks for the advice.