Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New guy with a Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy with a Jeep

Hey guys. Im new to the site obviously . Right now I own a 1998 5.9 Limited jeep grand Cherokee that is highly modified. Im looking at getting an LS car and thought this is a good site to learn from. heres a couple pics of the current ride. Built by me, not a shop.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
Teching In

that thing is mean
Old 05-21-2009, 01:36 PM

I am wanting to trade it for an LS car if at all possible, but I cant post a wanted ad yet And I dont want to post ***** or post in any tech threads because I dont know any tech on these cars yet, now if you have a ZJ question I know them inside and out
Old 05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice Jeep, I've got a YJ myself, there's a small pic in my sig of it. What all you got done to the Cherokee?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Teching In

nice jeep!
Old 05-21-2009, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you define "heavly modded" please? Does it ever drive over anything other than concrete?

I've got an '89 YJ - 383 Chevy, Holley EFI, TH350, Atlas 4 speed TC, D44/12 bolt with 5.13 gears and detroits, 37" IROKs with Staun internal beadlocks, high steer, full cage, 5 point harnesses, stinger, MileMarker 12K winch....
That's why I ask for your definition. The above is my idea of heavily modded

Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
Can you define "heavly modded" please? Does it ever drive over anything other than concrete?

I've got an '89 YJ - 383 Chevy, Holley EFI, TH350, Atlas 4 speed TC, D44/12 bolt with 5.13 gears and detroits, 37" IROKs with Staun internal beadlocks, high steer, full cage, 5 point harnesses, stinger, MileMarker 12K winch....
That's why I ask for your definition. The above is my idea of heavily modded

So you can **** further than me..... Its still a D44 and 12Bolt on 37's .......For a Grand Cherokee it is pretty modded.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Addict

Nice Jeeps guys...I miss my 88 YJ and 79 FSJ...
Old 05-22-2009, 04:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was not trying to get in a pissing match. I merely asked you to expand on your statement that it was highly modified.

As for my D44/12bolt.... They're both running moser shafts, which are significantly stronger than the stockers. They're holding up fine. 14 bolts are too big. Even if you trim them, they're still going to hang on the rocks.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:14 AM
8 Second Club

It's a Jeep thang
Old 05-22-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1BDTRAM
It's a Jeep thang
And that's another forum....
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

OMG i want your JEEP sooooooo bad! Im currently on the hunt for a 96-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. MY dad bought one with over 240,000 miles on it and it ran like crazy! It was only the 4.0 but we own orchards and have always had Duramaxs. So one night it was pouring down rain and i decided to take it through the mud. OMG. the Duramax does ok, even with its 12 inch lift, but this crazy little 6 cylinder felt like i was driving on pavement almost!!! I fell in love i didnt even care that it was a 6 cylinder. We had it for exactly one week and then my brother was driving it and had a seizure and totaled it.

So now im looking for a replacement, theyre so cheap!! Seriously, you can find plenty of the 96-98 Grand Cherokee Limiteds for around $3000. 5.2 of ocurse, 5.9's are rare and when you find them they are twice as much. Are you on Jeepforums? i have a ton of questions about zjs first being how do you find headlight replacements? Does anyone make projectors for them? can you put a double dinn nav in the factory stereo slot?

Last edited by evilZO6; 05-22-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well hell, might as well put my Jeep up here too. That's a nice Cherokee and Wrangler above me, good to see some 4X4s on the boards.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome man, that thing is much cleaner than my 87 Cherokee 4x4 I6 with 414k miles (though perhaps not as many mods as mine ). What other mods are you planning? Differential gliders? Roof rack? That front bumper is bitchin.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
I was not trying to get in a pissing match. I merely asked you to expand on your statement that it was highly modified.

As for my D44/12bolt.... They're both running moser shafts, which are significantly stronger than the stockers. They're holding up fine. 14 bolts are too big. Even if you trim them, they're still going to hang on the rocks.
its cool man. Ill post up all the current mods Ive done

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
And that's another forum....
Dont hate, different is always good

Originally Posted by evilZO6
OMG i want your JEEP sooooooo bad! Im currently on the hunt for a 96-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. MY dad bought one with over 240,000 miles on it and it ran like crazy! It was only the 4.0 but we own orchards and have always had Duramaxs. So one night it was pouring down rain and i decided to take it through the mud. OMG. the Duramax does ok, even with its 12 inch lift, but this crazy little 6 cylinder felt like i was driving on pavement almost!!! I fell in love i didnt even care that it was a 6 cylinder. We had it for exactly one week and then my brother was driving it and had a seizure and totaled it.

So now im looking for a replacement, theyre so cheap!! Seriously, you can find plenty of the 96-98 Grand Cherokee Limiteds for around $3000. 5.2 of ocurse, 5.9's are rare and when you find them they are twice as much. Are you on Jeepforums? i have a ton of questions about zjs first being how do you find headlight replacements? Does anyone make projectors for them? can you put a double dinn nav in the factory stereo slot?
Haha, thanks man! im currently looking to trade it for an LS1 car, so what ya got? PM me with any questions you've got and Ill be glad to answer them for ya. also check out www.nagca.com or www.mallcrawlin.com those are two Grand Cherokee specific boards with vast amounts of info.

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Well hell, might as well put my Jeep up here too. That's a nice Cherokee and Wrangler above me, good to see some 4X4s on the boards.

Thats a nice YJ you've got there

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Awesome man, that thing is much cleaner than my 87 Cherokee 4x4 I6 with 414k miles (though perhaps not as many mods as mine ). What other mods are you planning? Differential gliders? Roof rack? That front bumper is bitchin.
Well if I dont sell or trade it Ive got a ford 8.8 sitting in my garage and I am picking up an HP30 tomorow. Ive also got a 231 sitting in the garage waiting to go in. After that I plan to gear to 4.56's and buy Kevins offroad's LP-1 sliders and then get some ARB lockers for the axles and chromo shafts.

Ive also considered bringing it back down to stock and racing it at the drag strip, lol
Old 05-22-2009, 09:31 PM

Here is a list of mods, including OEM replaced parts because the interior was tore up, so I basicaly replaced the entire interior. This is pulled straight from my craigslist add.

ARB Winch Bumper-$1000
5" Rough Country Lift-$800
Rubicon Express Front upper adjustale control arms-$200
Brand new 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s-$1000
Black D-window Cragar Rims-$250
Doug Thorley Headers, 3" pipe all the way back, High Flow cat, Magnaflow large body Muffler-$1000
Vanco Big Brake Upgrade-$800
New European Spec Glass Headlights-$300
New European Spec Turn Signal Lights-$100
Mopar Performance ECU-$300
Kevins HD Radiator Support-$200
WJ RB1 Navigation Headunit with integrated IPod Controller-$700
Clear Corner Lenses-$40
Old Man Emu SS-$120
JKS Quick-Disconnect Swaybar endlinks-$160
Rugged Ridge HD Inverted-T Steering setup including new tierod ends-$300

As of May 22nd 2009 I have installed more parts to include:
Front windows tinted 20% to match the rear-$100
Rugged Ridge HD Inverted-T Steering setup including new tierod ends-$300
JKS Rear Adjustable Tracbar-$200

New OEM parts include:
upper spring isolators, front bump stops/bump stop cups, front axles (new, not rebuilt), hitch (new OEM), hitch harness (new OEM dealer installed version), tail lights (Crown OEM replacements), rear pads/rotors (Performance Friction Carbon Metallic), front brake lines (Goodrich stainless steel), cooling fans (new OEM), radiator cap (new OEM), rear wiper motor (Mopar rebuilt), hatch struts, hatch glass struts, hatch glass release button, license plate lenses (has LED lights in it right now), rear track bar, overhead console (new OEM), shifter **** (new OEM), carpet (new OEM), console lid (new OEM), transfer case shifter assembly (new OEM), shifter bezel (new OEM), TC bezel (new OEM), steering column upper/lower trim (new OEM), cluster bezel (new OEM), steering wheel (new OEM), headlight switch (new OEM), heated seat/rear wiper switch assembly (new OEM), turn signal multifunction switch (new OEM), seat belt adjuster ***** (new OEM), spare tire cover (new Bestop), front/rear/cargo liners (new CatchAll), speakers (new 6.75" front/rear doors, 5.25" sound bar, Infinity Kappa), head unit (new RB1), battery (new Interstate), passenger/driver's side kick panel trim (new OEM), rear passenger side quarter panel trim (new OEM), DDM (used OEM), key fobs (used OEM), keys (new OEM round-head), center console cup holder insert (new OEM), faux wood dash trim (new OEM), brake pedal cover (new OEM), emergency brake handle (new OEM), tilt steering **** (new OEM), under hood insulation (new OEM), front corner lights (new aftermarket clear), front turn signals (new aftermarket EU), There's more, but that's all I can think of for now.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket

'84 CJ-7, '96 XJ here.

Welcome!!

Seems like there are more Jeep/LS-1 owners than I thought...
Old 05-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Firefighterformula
JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket

'84 CJ-7, '96 XJ here.

Welcome!!

Seems like there are more Jeep/LS-1 owners than I thought...
Def makes me broke, lol. I dont own an LS1 yet, but I want to hopefully soon
Old 05-23-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greenzj;

Haha, thanks man! im currently looking to trade it for an LS1 car, so what ya got? :D PM me with any questions you've got and Ill be glad to answer them for ya. also check out [url
www.nagca.com[/url] or www.mallcrawlin.com those are two Grand Cherokee specific boards with vast amounts of info.
i have a 96 WS6 but i would never trade it. I dont think. lol. Its in peices right now i have so many projects going on, custom double dinn nav install, wiring install, custom fitting the 98-02 w type lip kit, molding on an rksport back, having the wheels widened and refinished, all kinds of stuff. But once its back together, it still needs a rear end seal and an alignment. Its not an Ls but i've had 3 Lt1's and 2 Ls1'a and i like the LT1 just as much. I have some q's definitely ill pm you with them! And thanks for the other links

Are you considering selling it ourtight? How much are/would you ask and how many miles? What stat are you in btw?