Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

B&M Ripper shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default B&M Ripper shifter

Does anyone know if the B&M Ripper shifter can be disassembled? I would like to take the stainless shifter rod out and have it cut and offset just above the mounting plate.

I have this shifter in my '55 ls1/t56 conversion but I have a leather boot sewn to the carpet and can't remove the shifter right now. I plan on installing a console and would like to offset the handle about 2 1/2 inches down low in the boot area.

I know folks like Street and Performance have offset handle relocators but they are about $350 and I don't want to go that route.

Here's a link to the ripper shifter: http://www.shop.speedunlimited.com/S...-p4080581.html

Thanks
Old 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do come apart. You may want to look for an older B&M that had a removeable stick. These would allow you to fabricate a stick separately. There may be other shifters still in production that allow that mod.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Calhoon.

I'm thinking if I could get the stick out, cut it flat just above the mounting plate, weld on a flat stainless piece about 3/16 thick, and reweld the shifter back on top of the flat piece. If I do this, will I mess up the geometry of the stick too much to make smooth shifts?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest, I would get a different model shifter that separates the upper handle. You could fabricate your upper handle and just bolt in on. The welding might sink too muck heat into the part.

Quick Reply: B&M Ripper shifter