Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Cali smog certification????

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cali smog certification????

Hey guys,
I am wanting to buy a f-body in california and bring it back home to Illinois. The owner says he has to have the smog certification done before he can sell me the car. However the car is in no way going to pass, but it will pass here in illinois. My question is does he even have to have it done to sell it to someone out of state? i looked at the federal rules and they say the smog certification is only good for 90 days anyways in cali. Hell I would only be in cali for 3 hours, lol.

I asked this on another forum and they have all sold cars in cali to someone out of state without having it done. Is this true, since this is the only thing holding me back from getting this car? Have any of you done the same thing????
Thanks guys/gals
Old 05-22-2009, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Why would the owner worry about the smog if you agree that he can sell you the car with out the smog certificate. If I was the owner and I know my car that I'm selling won't pass smog, I will sell it "as is" smog will be the buyers.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bulletz28
Why would the owner worry about the smog if you agree that he can sell you the car with out the smog certificate. If I was the owner and I know my car that I'm selling won't pass smog, I will sell it "as is" smog will be the buyers.
When the car gets regitered here in illinois it will probably be a couple of years before we even have to take it to get tested. Even if I had to take the car the same day I get it back to Illinois it will pass. I think that he is worried about it being a federal law saying that has to be done.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is what is said from the illinois DMV
Your vehicle is scheduled for testing every two years, beginning the fourth model year. If you purchase a vehicle that has an expired vehicle emissions compliance certificate or sticker, the vehicle may be required to be tested as soon as the new registration is received. Vehicles failing the emissions test must be repaired, then retested. If your vehicle failed the emissions test, we recommend that you have the vehicle repaired by a qualified technician who is experienced in the diagnosis and repair of emission control systems. If a vehicle cannot pass the emissions test, a waiver may be available if certain requirements are met.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bulletz28
Can you sell a car legally that way? I have the same question.

Someone is interested in my 94 which has a spun bearing and is filed as non op. Can I legally sell that car? According to DMV, the seller has to smog it.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

It can excahnge hands and stay as non op. So yes you can sell it without smog as long as seller doesn't plan to get a sticker for his plates. A car thats non opped usually doesn't run and there is no way a non running car can get smogged.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For cali state law, as long as the buyer and the seller both agree, that the buyer is in charge of smogging the car, you can do that legally, I would say though that a contract should be drafted up by one or both parties stating their liability in the sale. I say do it quick beforew ****** Obama rapes us and enacts that federal emissions standard that is lose to cali's smog laws.

Last edited by LS1Adam84; 05-22-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea there is going to be a contract anyways since the finance company has the title.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Can you sell a car legally that way? I have the same question.

Someone is interested in my 94 which has a spun bearing and is filed as non op. Can I legally sell that car? According to DMV, the seller has to smog it.
Yes as long as the buyer agree.

Quick Reply: Cali smog certification????