Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

questions about painting whole car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default questions about painting whole car?

OK , frist question is about preping. I know I do not need to go allthe way down to bare metal or plastic, but if there are some areas with paint chips that go all the way to metal, what do I need to do in those spots?
Next, I got a quote for factory paint code color for Navy Blue Metalic in Dupont brand paint. I asked for 1 Gallon. I also got 1 gallon of Dupont Clear. What do I need for my 99 z28 as far as hardeners, flex-agents, reducers, etc, and how much do I mix it with the paints. Also, when adding the flex agent for the bumper covers etc...does it hurt to spray and "blend it into the hood and fender area so the darker color does not show up on the bumper etc?
Old 05-22-2009, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by havocnmayhem2005
OK , frist question is about preping. I know I do not need to go allthe way down to bare metal or plastic, but if there are some areas with paint chips that go all the way to metal, what do I need to do in those spots?
Next, I got a quote for factory paint code color for Navy Blue Metalic in Dupont brand paint. I asked for 1 Gallon. I also got 1 gallon of Dupont Clear. What do I need for my 99 z28 as far as hardeners, flex-agents, reducers, etc, and how much do I mix it with the paints. Also, when adding the flex agent for the bumper covers etc...does it hurt to spray and "blend it into the hood and fender area so the darker color does not show up on the bumper etc?
First question, you are going to have to feather those chips out and prime that area with the correct primer.
Second question, the right hardener, reducer,flex agent and other additives will depend on which base/clear system you went with.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Well hopefully the guys at this local parts supply store know a litle something. He told me that I would need to mix the 1 gallon of base with 1 gallon of the reducer. To me that doesn't sound right. That means I'd have two gallons , which I wouldn't need that much, would I?
Old 05-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Not really... Depends on what style of Dupont you bought. They all have different mixing ratios. The mixing ratios are usually found on the can or in the technical data book from the manufacturer. Depending on that mixture ratio, you will need to be the correct amount of Hardener(Catalyst) and Reducer.

The areas that go down to the metal...I would use some polyster filler and fill them to be smooth with the existing paint. Depending on the color you are using...the entire car may need to be primed after this...

Flex agent isnt really necessary. But if you want to use it, you only add it to the clear. and I dont understand what you mean about blending the darker color? Flex agent is clear.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Teching In

I know almost nothing about paint and body work, but I know my '99 T/A needs to be repainted. It's got paint bubbled and chipped here and there on almost every body panel, so I want to repaint the whole car.

What needs to be done before I take it somewhere to have it painted? Can the plastic on the body be stripped and repainted? What are my options?

I've also considered getting a body kit, as the front bumper cover and fenders are in rough shape. Since I'll have to pay for labor on this whole project, would I be better off getting a new body kit and have it painted? Or should it be cheaper to strip and fix mine?

Thanks for the help
Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Anyway, since you know nothing about paint work, I would take the car to the paintshop as is and tell them to paint it. Thats the cheapest way to do it. Yes, the whole car can be repainted. no problem.

It will cost more to get a body kit and have it painted and installed rather than just painting what you already have.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Ok, thanks. I didn't mean to hijack your thread there; I just figured that if I started my own someone would point out that there was already a thread on the topic.

Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Well I was told that sometimes a flex agent would make the front appear darker for some reason. Anyway, been thinking lately about going with a single stage paint. I heard it usually isn't as expensive. What all would I have to get if I go that route?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Teching In

Single stage will work if thats what u want to do. You just need the paint and catalyst and reducer.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sleeping00Z28

Anyway, since you know nothing about paint work, I would take the car to the paintshop as is and tell them to paint it. Thats the cheapest way to do it. Yes, the whole car can be repainted. no problem.

It will cost more to get a body kit and have it painted and installed rather than just painting what you already have.

this is what i was going to say, you have no idea on how to remove chips, and you buy a product that you have no idea on how to mix, i think its safe to say take it to a shop, do your self the favor

we can not teach you online hhow to use a D.A. fix dents, paint, to use a paint gun, apply paint, it will never happen this is a hands on learning trade
but what do i know,
Old 06-02-2009, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

take it to a good paint shop, dont go to maaco or places like that, you will end up hating it and spending more money to get it right
Old 06-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

theres a lot of variables to content with painting a car, i really think you'd regret doing it yourself later, i guess it comes down to how much you value the car
Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

preping is an extremely long process, hint the reason why a paint job costs so much. for the knicks that go down to the metal/plastic you fill those in with putty. There is no way someone without experiece can read about what to do in what situations simply because you dont know all the situations you might run into ie, stress in the fiberglass, clear coat chipping, dents that need bondo, knicks, when and what to block, etc. If you want to do this yourself then you at least need a professional by your side telling you what to use on what. Its an extremely long process that will take around 30 hours just for the prep.

Quick Reply: questions about painting whole car?