LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

meziere water pump install

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default meziere water pump install

Hey guys, quick question. Got the meziere installed and my motor is completely empty of coolant. I filled up two gallons into the radiator and was thinking i would run the meziere without the car running to get the coolant into the engine. Can i do this?

Or do I need to run the car and water pump at the same time to get the coolant to flow. I've searched for about an hour trying to find a discussion similar to this, but i haven't found it. any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Remove the water neck and thermostat, and fill the block through the top of the water pump.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the coolant will be flowing long before the engine gets hot enough to need to be cooled if thats your worry.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93cz28
the coolant will be flowing long before the engine gets hot enough to need to be cooled if thats your worry.
this is one worry. the other is reading the meziere instructions saying don't run the pump dry for anything but a short period. short period isn't defined in the instructions. i'm trying to understand what will get the coolant flowing if the coolant is only in the radiator and the water pump has no coolant flowing across it since it's dry.

maybe there is some capillary action i'm not aware of, but figure for a pump to move a liquid, it needs to have the liquid present. hope i'm not over thinking this too much. Just really concerned that i'll damage the pump running it dry for too long.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you not read my post?

Fill the block through the top of the water pump, then top off the radiator. When the block is full it will fill the water pump.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Did you not read my post?

Fill the block through the top of the water pump, then top off the radiator. When the block is full it will fill the water pump.
sorry joe - yes i did see it and thank you for the advice. i was trying not to open it up, but looks like i should just do it that way and be done with it. thanks for the quick replies!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merim123
sorry joe - yes i did see it and thank you for the advice. i was trying not to open it up, but looks like i should just do it that way and be done with it. thanks for the quick replies!
Its not a hard job at all taking the stat housing off, not even a gasket to fool with.

Quick Reply: meziere water pump install