insurance totalled question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance totalled question

aight guys yesterday I got a called from a insurance car auction and was asked if I still had the keys to my car so that they can auction it off.
i do have the keys and I locked my doors from when they towed it.

do insurance companys tow car's to auction yards before they even call you with an offer?

the guy who is incharge of my claim was suppost to call me yesterday with 2 offers 1 with me buying the car back and 1 without me buying the car back. he never called so I called and he wasnt there anymore.

also say i dont buy my car back can I go and remove some of my parts and swap them out for the oem ones?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

If you dont buy it back you cannot touch it ever again. You can always buy it back and part it out. Thats what most people do if you know you can make $$ off of it.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SETc6
If you dont buy it back you cannot touch it ever again. You can always buy it back and part it out. Thats what most people do if you know you can make $$ off of it.
yea thats my plan to buy it back. just seem weird to me that the car would already be sitting at a auction before I even getting the offers from my insurance.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bobbyd
yea thats my plan to buy it back. just seem weird to me that the car would already be sitting at a auction before I even getting the offers from my insurance.
for future reference, if you ever get in a wreck have it towed to your house first lol cause they'll screw you every time if you let the wreckers take it off.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Your car should not be at an auction. You can't go up there and get the parts off before they take it. Retain title and part it out. You will come out ahead, trust me.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is against the law for them to take your car to the auction and sell it before you come to a settlement. They do not own the car, YOU DO! Until you are paid it is still your car...
Old 05-23-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
It is against the law for them to take your car to the auction and sell it before you come to a settlement. They do not own the car, YOU DO! Until you are paid it is still your car...
yea you see thats what I was thiking.

the car hasnt been sold yet. but it is sitting at a insurance auction.

the fn claim was made saturday and the guy called me monday and said you should hear from me mid week well I called mid week and they said friday.

friday didnt get a call so I called and he wasnt there so I spoke to someone else and they told me that the car was totalled and that I should be getting 2 offers 1 with me buying car and 1 with me not buying car back.

well i got a call from the auction saying that my car was there and that if I had my keys I said yes and they said that if i could take them over to the auction since state farm was going to auction the car off and if they had the keys they could get more for it.

so i called state farm back and I asked hte lady again for the guy he wasnt there. she asked if he had receive a call from him i said no and she said oh he was suppost to call with 2 offers. then she just asked if I could wait till tuesday and for me to call him on tuesday
Old 05-23-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SETc6
for future reference, if you ever get in a wreck have it towed to your house first lol cause they'll screw you every time if you let the wreckers take it off.
yea now I know that. I was clueless since it was the first wreck/accident I had ever been in.

thanks