Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

While I Have my Tranny Out - Pilot Bearing and Grinding Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default While I Have my Tranny Out - Pilot Bearing and Grinding Question

I am putting in a new clutch for the first time and so far everything is going good, but I have a few questions.

1. How do I tell if the pilot bearing needs to be replaced? My dad is helping me with the clutch and he just wants check it before we start putting stuff back together.

2. Before the I started tearing down the car, the transmission would grind pretty bad when going into fourth (about half the time). Is this an internal problem or is there something I can check out while I have the transmission out?
Old 05-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Banned

First question......Always replace the pilot, IMO I would put a self lubricating bushing in, not a bearing, bearings dry up and can cause friction between the input shaft and output shaft which causes grinding.

Second question....Last part of first answer might be your problem here, when you drained the trans was there any metal on the plug? What did the oil look like? These could be sure signs that there is something going on inside the trans, easiest thing to do is put the trans back in and recheck if it grinds with the new clutch.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

I personally do not like bushings, and only go bearing. My .02.

Now, SHOULD you replace it? Yeah, if any miles on it, while yo have tranny out, good idea to go ahead and do it. IT IS A WEAR item, and no sense in not replacing it since it is a $10 part and you are already there.

Quick Reply: While I Have my Tranny Out - Pilot Bearing and Grinding Question