Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Ultra Z hood paint question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Z hood paint question

I have an Ultra Z hood and I'm having problems with the clearcoat coming off. Since I had the longtube headers put on the clearcoat is coming off where the hood scoop is and at the the top of the hood and there are spots where it is staining. I believe its from the extreme heat under the hood. Can I get it repainted or is the fiberglass no good? Also if I do get it repainted how will I keep it from coming off again?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you do get it repainted, get an underhood heat shield
Old 05-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Teching In

Paint the bottom of the hood with a epoxy-primer and automotive paint. Then repaint the top as well. Unless its bubbling, there shoulnt be any fiberglass damage. I would use Emron Paint. Dupont makes it. Its super sturdy, scratch resistant, chemical resistant, oil resistant, pretty much everything resistant. But its expensive.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Teching In

What should I use on the outside of the hood? I need to have something that withstands the heat on the outside. The inside of the hood is fine and don't need repainted.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Im saying that if you paint the inside of the hood, it will help block the heat from coming through to the top of the hood. Any automotive base/clear will work fine. Just dont buy the cheapest stuff you can fine and it will last. I use PPG and Dupont. PPG Deltron is their medium grade and works well, or you can step it up and get the Global which is what i painted my car with. Dupont's lowest grade is Nason, it works fine on most parts but for the hood I wouldnt use it. I dont remember the names of the other grades, just dont use Nason.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Launching!

That really shouldn't be happening. I would say your having a problem with the adhesion of the clear (delaminating). Possibly who ever painted it watied to long or didn't wait long enough to clear the base coat, or they used a cheap product. I've seen this happen when people have used that paint (don't know the name off hand and they sell it under many different brand names but it's basically all the same) that sells for like 350 for a gallon of color, gallon of clear, gallon reducer, and hardeners.

Quick Reply: Ultra Z hood paint question