Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving Motor forward in a F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 04:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Moving Motor forward in a F-Body

Not really sure where to post this so sorry if its in the wrong section.

Would it be possible to move the motor and trans a few inches forward by eliminating the motor mounts and using a custom motor plate? I know it would be a lot of work (like making a custom trans crossmember, getting a longer drive shaft, etc...) but I just want to know if it would be possible. I'm just trying to get some more clearance from the cowl and every inch counts. Trying to get a Magnacharger to fit in a F-Body. Thanks

Also, how do you think moving the motor/trans forward would affect drivability and stuff like that?
Old 11-05-2003, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was wondering if it would be possible to lower the engine for a project like that. It seems like the easiest solution would be cutting the cowl and windshield to make it fit. GM did this with their test car with custom manifold that were too tall.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think it is possible to go more than .5 - 1". You would run into the problem of the waterpump hitting the radiator fans. They are already pretty cloce. Why not just buy a used vortech or ati blower. Couldn't be much of a price difference and the centrifgual blowers make more power. Just sounds like an unneeded headache. Handling would not change much.