Sponsored by:

Crankcase ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Crankcase ventilation

Ok ya'll,
Anyone know of any benefits or downsides to replacing the factory oil fill cap on a 98 LS1 with one of the K&N breathers??

I have heard about oil consumption issues with LS1's however, have not personally experienced any abnormal loss on my engine. I bought the breather today... but thought I'd get everyone's .02 before I ripped it open and put it on.
Kev
Old 11-05-2003, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Default breather

Originally Posted by K9Kev
Ok ya'll,
Anyone know of any benefits or downsides to replacing the factory oil fill cap on a 98 LS1 with one of the K&N breathers??

I have heard about oil consumption issues with LS1's however, have not personally experienced any abnormal loss on my engine. I bought the breather today... but thought I'd get everyone's .02 before I ripped it open and put it on.
Kev
You just might have something there Kev
I would like to hear the results
Question : does it have the threads to screw in ?
John
Old 11-05-2003, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...4&page=1&pp=15
Old 11-06-2003, 04:07 AM
TECH Resident

Default Anyone else ???

ttt...
Old 11-06-2003, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

What mods do you have?

I had a Metco breather before.

I liked it but sometimes, due to the angle, it would drip a little oil on the header.

I think Metco needs to make the breather go straight up.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
What mods do you have?

I had a Metco breather before.

I liked it but sometimes, due to the angle, it would drip a little oil on the header.

I think Metco needs to make the breather go straight up.
Afternoon John,

I bought the K&N breather and was just planning on putting it on where the oil fill cap goes. Would this be Ok ? As for now, our mods are: Air lid, Free ram air, and a dynomouth. Thunder Racing is providing a TR 224/112 for the car in the next few weeks and we are looking at headers. Not to mention all the suspension mods that Lou helped with...wow!! Handles like a slot car.

Thanks for getting back to me, I look forward to your ideas on this.

Kev
Old 11-06-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just adding the breather does absolutely nothing except changing the fresh air source for the crankcase to where the breather is installed from the hose on the front of the passenger side valve cover that runs to the throttle body in front of the butterfly. Explain to me how this will have anything to do with oil consumption. The problem with oil consumption through the PCV system is not the fresh air source, but the baffle in the valve cover where the vaccuum is pulled. You also say you do not have an oil consumption issue so why add a breather.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Just adding the breather does absolutely nothing except changing the fresh air source for the crankcase to where the breather is installed from the hose on the front of the passenger side valve cover that runs to the throttle body in front of the butterfly. Explain to me how this will have anything to do with oil consumption. The problem with oil consumption through the PCV system is not the fresh air source, but the baffle in the valve cover where the vaccuum is pulled. You also say you do not have an oil consumption issue so why add a breather.
That's why I'm asking if it is a good idea or if it's just a waste. Look at my posts <-----I'm a newbie....was looking for folks opinions, ideas and input.

I, like most people I would assume, am trying to make decisions about modifying the car to perform it's best. I appreciate your information on oil consumption and how it is caused however, not necessarily your way of telling me

If I wanted to feel like an idiot I wouldn't ask questions of all of you and would just go down to the local speed shop, load up on whatever parts some snot nosed kid said I needed, and be oblivious to the world. Instead I came here to get peoples input....thanks for the kick in the nuts!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Aw, thicken your skin up a little bit. I told you what a breather will do and the "explain to me" part is directed to all those that are telling you they have done it or to do it. It was not my intention to kick you in the nuts. If you will notice, no one told you what just adding a breather, while keeping the rest of the PCV system unchanged, will do for you.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Since I have seen nobody post a benefit of the breather over a properly working pcv system(not using oil), I'm going to have to go with the "don't fix it if it isn't broke" comment. Now if there was a gain to be had then that phrase would not apply.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

2X,

Ok, I just took you wrong. There is a local place here in DFW that a few LS1 owners congregate at. I have listened to them and thought some of their ideas may have merit. Everyone has opinions, and I enjoy the input, I just have to figure out what works best for my application. That's why I'm here.

I figure that it is best to go with the 'Ain't broke-Don't fix' as stated. If and when oil consumption becomes a problem, I'll pm ya and maybe you can assist me with a fix solution. Deal ?

Thanks,
Kev
Old 11-07-2003, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

How about removing all the PCV hoses?? I am tight on space and would love to get rid of the ugly big hoses.

Anyone? Plug them or breathers?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-07-2003, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote: "Just adding the breather does absolutely nothing except changing the fresh air source for the crankcase to where the breather is installed from the hose on the front of the passenger side valve cover that runs to the throttle body in front of the butterfly".

Ditto what '2xLS1' says ...
Old 11-07-2003, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oil consumption will also be caused by P-ring blowby as the stock rings can become unseated due to high crank case pressures. (CURE: Get better rings and vent that bitch.)
Oil consumption due to PCV story can be remedied in various ways
*Catch can
*putting PCV uppright inline with fuel filters and a few T connectors.
*LS6 valley PCV system
To mention a few, however i think all of these are not 100%, but will reduce it dramatically.

My2bits
Old 11-07-2003, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

you guys running breathers ever inhale/smell fumes?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I'd only run a breather on a cammin' or otherwise modded car where you need to alleviate crank case pressure.

I am currently running a custom breather setup I made because of my supercharger.

I also have crank evac kit I could put in the car so I might do that in the near future and test it.