Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh damn, a knock.. What the hell???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oh damn, a knock.. What the hell???

Working on a 2002 WS6 with a buit iron block 6 liter. Stock crank. STS turbo with the boost turned all the way day. Anyway, I did a little drifting the other night. Nothing too extreme. Ive definitly drivin it harder before. So, I leave the parking lot and notice a knocking at upper RPMs like right before I shift gears.... Its not real consistant, and the second I let off the throttle or push in the clutch the knock goes away. Any ideas. Valves, rod, something else maybe come loose. The damn motor has less then 3000 miles on it. The clutch is slipping, and Im waitinng to change it, could that be part of this... Thanks guys.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie c5
STS turbo with the boost turned all the way day.
Pootie Tang drives a C5. Sa da tay!!

You gots a rod knock in that Cappatown, time to get yo rebuild on.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said that it has an sts turbo system right? And that it only makes the knocking noise at high rpms. Have you checked the wastegate to make sure that its not broken?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Datalog for detonnation
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Well DAMN, I was heading home fromm work today and the faint knocking is a constant loud knock. But the car runs fine and the oil pressure isnt too bad. What the hell. I popped the hood to take a listen and it sounds like its coming from up high... And I can feel the knocking through the clutch peddle.. What THE HELL....
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Are you going to scan PCM data or verify the wastegate function as previous posters indicated, or just here to vent frustration and not actually fix it?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by crainholio
Are you going to scan PCM data or verify the wastegate function as previous posters indicated, or just here to vent frustration and not actually fix it?

Man, why would you say that.? Kinda rude, huh??? Im 3000 miles from home, and there isnt any kind of performance shop for several hours away. So dealing with the PCM isnt possible. And the wastegate is in the rear of the car ITS AN STS TURBO. LIKE I MENTIONED IN THE BEGINNING. And NO Im not just here to vent. I was hoping to get some suggestions or ideas from guys who's dealt with this.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol dont worry hes always rude

if you feel it pulsing in the clutch id say it probably has something to do with the worn out clutch... the last time you were drifting may have worn it down enough where the rivets are exposed possibly. does it do it with the clutch pushed in, or does noise change at all with the clutch pushed in?

otherwise id hate to say it but a rod bearing or lifter, or maybe a broken spring if you have comp 918's.. lol
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

Man, why would you say that.? Kinda rude, huh??? Im 3000 miles from home, and there isnt any kind of performance shop for several hours away. So dealing with the PCM isnt possible.
You didn't mention being away from home. In fact, you actually said this:

...was heading home fromm work today...
So you're saying you have a 3000 mile commute to work?

And the wastegate is in the rear of the car ITS AN STS TURBO. LIKE I MENTIONED IN THE BEGINNING.
Is the rear of the car too far for you to walk? Who cares if it's under the hood or behind the rear diff? Find your way back there, adjust the thing down a bit, and verify the boost gauge shows proportionately less boost.

And NO Im not just here to vent. I was hoping to get some suggestions or ideas from guys who's dealt with this.
You've gotten suggestions, and haven't put them to use. Just came back and whined.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
does it do it with the clutch pushed in, or does noise change at all with the clutch pushed in?
My farts are generally more informative than what you post.

The guy already said this:

...the second I let off the throttle or push in the clutch the knock goes away.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Pootie Tang drives a C5. Sa da tay!!

You gots a rod knock in that Cappatown, time to get yo rebuild on.
What kind of stupid **** is this?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Well DAMN, I was heading home fromm work today and the faint knocking is a constant loud knock. But the car runs fine and the oil pressure isnt too bad. What the hell. I popped the hood to take a listen and it sounds like its coming from up high... And I can feel the knocking through the clutch peddle.. What THE HELL....
Make sure all your pipes are tight and if the clutch is worn the pressure plate may be loose how dose it shift?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by beedo
What kind of stupid **** is this?
OK, maybe you'd like to tell us what this means:

...with the boost turned all the way day...
And as for this:

Originally Posted by beedo
Freud had published his thinking about people who fixate on homosexuality, you might find it interesting when you come out of the closet.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

[/QUOTE]Freud had published his thinking about people who fixate on homosexuality, you might find it interesting when you come out of the closet.[/QUOTE]
Yea, OH k.........
Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

OK, maybe you'd like to tell us what this means:

And as for this:

Freud had published his thinking about people who fixate on homosexuality, you might find it interesting when you come out of the closet.
Well, unfortunatly you being a total dick doesnt resolve my issue. Try going to another forum and take your attitude with you. We come here for help and to offer help. Not be a jerk. You need to grow up.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

Now, back to my issue. I double checked all of the pipping, and I checked the wastegate and so far nothing. As for the sound and if the knock sound changes when I push the clutch in, it doesnt change. And it seems to shift fine. And for the "boost being turned all the way down." With the manual boost controller I turned it down as far as it goes. And the gauge shows about 4lbs. So, Im thinking rod bearing or lifter. Im gonna pull the valve covers and start my search... Thanks for all of your help guys. I guess its time to work some overtime..
Old 05-29-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Well, unfortunatly you being a total dick doesnt resolve my issue. Try going to another forum and take your attitude with you. We come here for help and to offer help. Not be a jerk. You need to grow up.
Grade-school spelling and grammar takes the weight off the "grow up" portion of your rant. I suppose that 3,000 mile commute to work saps the strength a bit.

Nonetheless, I understand the point you were trying to make and I'm glad you are finally digging into the problem.

Good luck on the diagnosis, here's hoping it's just a broken pushrod.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

My farts are generally more informative than what you post.

The guy already said this:

thought i was on your ignore list? lol your such a loser, i read all your posts an just laugh at how much you *think* you know.. unfortunately for the ls1tech community your farts are also more intelligent then any non sense you post.

it was obvious that when he first posted that he was talking about just pushing the clutch in and it idling down. when he let off the gas. As you can see he now said the knock doesnt change when he pushes it in. You need to pay attention.

Last edited by got-a-ls1; 05-30-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I really hope its a lifer man. Let me know how everything goes.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

(baby talk redacted)

it was obvious that when he first posted that he was talking about just pushing the clutch in and it idling down. when he let off the gas. As you can see he now said the knock doesnt change when he pushes it in. You need to pay attention.
Uh, no. He said this:

...and notice a knocking at upper RPMs like right before I shift...
He's on the gas, revs are up, it's knocking. It stops knocking when he lifts off the gas.

Then he kept driving it, and now the knock is both louder and constant. Classic rod knock.

It started after a drifting session, probably didn't check his oil level before he started and likely was low on oil. Starved the pump, lost pressure momentarily, and wiped one or more rod bearings.

Have somebody help you with your reading & writing.