Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HSW Interface controller.. Beware of Heat

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSW Interface controller.. Beware of Heat

I purchased an interface controller last week and installed it on my 2006 corvette and the next day the car was stumbling and not wanting to run. I opened the hood to see that the interface box had melted. The car has an aftermarket radiator and never gets hotter than 190 degrees. The box was mounted away from heat on the driver side firewall. (as far away as I could get it) I have pictures of it mounted and melted. This is my second one. The first one had no issues and was installed for months. This one is melted. I never got to use this controller but I know the function right. I sent it back to hsw to what is going to happen. If this is going to be a problem on C6 vettes, they may have to come up with another solution with longer wires. They seem like a good company. I think they will stand behind thier product. Wish me luck guys

Old 05-25-2009, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

sorry to hear about that, that really sucks. I mounted mine on the passenger fender by the battery (f-body), been ok so far, hope it stays ok. I always wished they given that thing a longer harness so we could mount it inside.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

I agree. You see how far away it is from the engine and heat? Mounting it inside the cab would be awesome
Old 05-25-2009, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

I just installed mine just lengthen the wires and leave in the car not thee engine bay.Just make sure the connections are good heat shrink them and wala also helps to if you get all the different color wires you need so it stays organized.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

The engine may only get 190*-200*, but the real heat comes from the exhaust. Manifolds/ headers can get over 500*.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GETUSUMM
I purchased an interface controller last week and installed it on my 2006 corvette and the next day the car was stumbling and not wanting to run. I opened the hood to see that the interface box had melted. The car has an aftermarket radiator and never gets hotter than 190 degrees. The box was mounted away from heat on the driver side firewall. (as far away as I could get it) I have pictures of it mounted and melted. This is my second one. The first one had no issues and was installed for months. This one is melted. I never got to use this controller but I know the function right. I sent it back to hsw to what is going to happen. If this is going to be a problem on C6 vettes, they may have to come up with another solution with longer wires. They seem like a good company. I think they will stand behind thier product. Wish me luck guys

Just send it in so we can take a look at the unit, if you already have sent it in I will let you know when we receive it. Generally the electronics aren't affected and even if they were the unit wouldn't allow the nitrous system to activate. Looking at the pictures, I would say mounting the unit near a heat source such as the coolant overflow isn't a good spot. I would recommend shifting the unit over to the passenger side by the fuse block away from the heat once you get it back from us. Thanks.

Nick
Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Just send it in so we can take a look at the unit, if you already have sent it in I will let you know when we receive it. Generally the electronics aren't affected and even if they were the unit wouldn't allow the nitrous system to activate. Looking at the pictures, I would say mounting the unit near a heat source such as the coolant overflow isn't a good spot. I would recommend shifting the unit over to the passenger side by the fuse block away from the heat once you get it back from us. Thanks.

Nick
Nick, I see you guys received this box on the 19th. Any word on whats wrong with it? The car would not start sometimes because of it. The electronics must have been affected. Also, I have my boost a pump wire closer to the header and the loom is not affected. I can make a pass or two at the track and leave my hand on the overflow tank and it is barely warm. Thanks