Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Thinking about Oving to the Valley in CA from Arizona, Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about Moving to the Valley in CA from Arizona, Advice?

My wife has a good job opportunity in Cali and frankly I have never minded a new place so I am looking into it.

We already have friends there so the move would not be that hard, in fact they have been trying to get us up there for a year or more.

My concerns range on many topics, getting my lic. there, Emissions, how the job situation is there etc.

So I thought I might get some information from those already there!

I am working on finishing my Degree, I was going for computer science but I have decided I want to teach, probably Math or Science etc so I am sure I can continue my education out there. Not sure how much will transfer but it should not be to horrible.

But now with my car having no AIR, EGR or a Cat (I have a spare I can put on) I am worried. I have a 95 Z28 thats more than a little modified, how do things work out there?

Here I just have to have a cat, no CEL and pass a sniffer test. Should I just keep registering out here (My family is still here so its not a huge issue) or can I make it out there?
Will I have more issues or less if I have an AZ plate? (Also I HATE front plates so keeping an AZ plate would make life easier on that front)

I heard Nitrous was illegal o.O I have every intention of running it whats the low down here???

Whats it like there? I know I can not take my guns sadly but anything else?

Last edited by Cross; 05-26-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well... seeing as I moved from SoCal to here in AZ... and I'm moving back to Socal in about 3-4 weeks I can give you a few of my own insights.

From what I hear, the job market in Cali is worse than here...

KEEP THE CAR REGISTERED IN AZ!

CA is the biggest pain in the *** when it comes to "smogging" a car. They do everything... sniffer, code check, and VISUAL (which is the biggest problem for guys like us).

You can "find" a nice smog shop out there... but honestly it's more of a pain than if you can just keep it registered in AZ.

Don't sell you guns... take them with you. Just don't ever use them or take them outa the house. Don't get caught transporting them etc... It is illegal to have them in Cali, but keep em outa site and your fine and you can keep em...
Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Don't do it, California sucks ***..We are 21 billion dollars in the hole. Who do you think is going to pay for it??
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dan
Don't do it, California sucks ***..We are 21 billion dollars in the hole. Who do you think is going to pay for it??
o.O!!! Holy Hell.

As for jobs.. why am I not surprised. Well I will make sure she has her job as well as something solid for myself before we go much further.

I have two guns so it should not be hard to keep them hidden. Thanks for letting me know though I was not sure what to expect.

I will def keep the car registered here, I already do not even have to pass emissions as it is, no since in making my life harder.

Out of curiosity though tell me about when the cops pull you over and check under the hood etc what should I be worried about? What should I be thinking about? Will they ignore me when I have an AZ plate more... can I use that as an excuse?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jobs out here are crap. And lately I have been hearing that if your keep your car registered in AZ you need a physical address not just a PO box. People have been getting fined for out of state plates when they don't live out of state. Smog suck I just had to put my Camaro on non-op and buy another car cause of smog. Its not easy finding a "nice" smog guy out here. Unless your wife is getting a well paying job that is guaranteed for a cool while I would stay chill where you are.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:41 PM
12 Second Club

My main family is all still here and we have land out in the middle of no where which works great for our hot rods that are not ever going to pass emissions.

I am def going to do some further looking into the job situation then. Obviously it seems the wife may have been over excited.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most people I know want to move out of California.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

WERE TALING CALI OVER AZ....... yeah theres more beaners there lol but hell how can you turn down " going back to cali cali .... " what city would you be moving to..... there are a few bad things

1. freeways suck
2. over populated
3. cost of living.

but its cali.... you have disneyland, the beach, all the citys from san diego and heading north.....

I was born in cali but **** i lived there for 5 years and az for 22 but if i had a chance at a good job in a city like anaheim , san diego ya know id take it. Now if its RIVER SIDE or somwhere 2 + hours away from the ocean or any city that has stuff to offer i woudlnt take it.

AZ SUCKS ***...what do we really have... lakes, river , snottsdale and mill ave ... whoopy ******* due lol.

but even if your wife takes this job... how good is the pay and will you be able to get a job....?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cross
My wife has a good job opportunity in Cali and frankly I have never minded a new place so I am looking into it.

We already have friends there so the move would not be that hard, in fact they have been trying to get us up there for a year or more.

My concerns range on many topics, getting my lic. there, Emissions, how the job situation is there etc.

So I thought I might get some information from those already there!

I am working on finishing my Degree, I was going for computer science but I have decided I want to teach, probably Math or Science etc so I am sure I can continue my education out there. Not sure how much will transfer but it should not be to horrible.

But now with my car having no AIR, EGR or a Cat (I have a spare I can put on) I am worried. I have a 95 Z28 thats more than a little modified, how do things work out there?

Here I just have to have a cat, no CEL and pass a sniffer test. Should I just keep registering out here (My family is still here so its not a huge issue) or can I make it out there?
Will I have more issues or less if I have an AZ plate? (Also I HATE front plates so keeping an AZ plate would make life easier on that front)

I heard Nitrous was illegal o.O I have every intention of running it whats the low down here???

Whats it like there? I know I can not take my guns sadly but anything else?
if you move can you drive back to az if you keep everything here and do edmissions.....to me it would be worth it if your car can do the trip. you only have to do it every 2 years.... oh **** you drive a 95 will it pass smog ???
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

what kind of job offer does she have if it honestly doesnt pay $50 k plus its gonna be simple based on cost of living i have alot of people from martial arts who live in cali and its a bitch ... but then depending what city is key !
Old 05-27-2009, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

I am horrible with Cali and cities but then I hardly know the place. My 95 can pass here not sure there esp with so much removed.

Either way though let me find out the city I was just told the Valley.

As I said I need more information before I go any further.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Your wife is gonna get her way no way your gonna tell her no :lol

yeah let me know what city bro !
Old 05-27-2009, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

True... it can't be completely bad in cali... I hope lol.

Seem to be a lot of car guys out there.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Ok its Woodland Hills Area.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok its Woodland Hills Area.
Hmmm Isnt that West of the SFV?? That seems to be a rich area...
Old 05-27-2009, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

I sure don't mind CA. You can go dirtbike riding, snowboarding and surfing all in the same day if u wanted, we have some of the hottest women, weed is legal, and the weather is great.

My car is illegal as hell and ive never had a problem, nor do I feel like moving
Old 05-27-2009, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Weed is legal huh????

I never heard of weed being legal anywhere... granted I remember hearing about efforts but I am surprised to hear it actually got legalized anywhere. I don't mind one way or the other I don't smoke but does that mean my son could walk into a Circle K and buy Pot now or...???
Old 05-27-2009, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

Weed is legal huh????

I never heard of weed being legal anywhere... granted I remember hearing about efforts but I am surprised to hear it actually got legalized anywhere. I don't mind one way or the other I don't smoke but does that mean my son could walk into a Circle K and buy Pot now or...???
He can obtain a doctor's "recommendation" (very easy) and then he can go into one of the many many clinics in CA and purchase it. And after the recent supreme court ruling, not even the FBI can bust him. Legalized, but still somewhat "regulated"
Old 05-27-2009, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

lol, look at the first business result this google search turned up

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...legal+in+CA%3F
Old 05-27-2009, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

LOL Now thats funny.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Oving to the Valley in CA from Arizona, Advice?