Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird 4l60e problem!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weird 4l60e problem!

Well it started a while back at the track when the car hooked decent (1.64) and during the 2nd gear shift the car hits neutral and the rev limiter. Its kinda weird, it will shift into 2nd for a split second, then its as if the driveshaft broke!! I let out of it get back in and the car makes the 2-3 shift fine. Now i have checked the fluid lever and it is pink and about 1/4 of a quart above the fill mark. the tranny has al lthe level 2 parts. and a 3600 vig. I can drive around town normal with no problems and also if i nail the gas and spin through first,second, and third it will have no problems. I usually left it in OD and this is where it was hit and miss with the 2nd gear pop out, I then put it in D and the problem seemed to go away, untill my last few trips to the track. My first pass was 10.89 with a 1.506 60', no problems, then i mad a 1.52 60' and the car popped out of second, I THINK it was in D but am not 100% sure it did it on that pass, either way it shouldn't do regardless.

Now things i have noticed is that my shift linkage seems a tad sloppy, but it doesn't feel like the tranny is forcing it into the actual N position. I have poly motor and trans mounts that are tight, so tranny flex shouldn't be the problem.

I need to know what commands and holds second gear in place. Maybe a gear position sensor?, solenoid? I know my 60' is good but could it really cause all the fluid to slosh to the back? I do have a deep pan and it is slightly over filled. Maybe i need to check the pickup tube seal and filter?

give me ideas
Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well sounds like the fluid is full, It could be the input sprag is letting loose since the overun clutch would support it in the D3 position first gear but be relased on the 1-2 shift. There is nothing that would release the 2nd band in this situation.
It however really sounds like a fluild issue so would start with the filter and pickup and go from there.
Now I will ask this when you say the fluid is 1/4 quart over you are checking the fluid level with the car running correct. Because 1/4 over not running would be near and empty pan running.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-27-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah its running in park when i check the fluid. I'm thinking fluid too but the only thing would be a loose filter right? If the sprag was letting loose would it do it anytime rather then only on a good launch?

I really wish i was able to datalog the car when it happened. the car only did this a few times, but when it did do it it was exactly the same, the best way to describe it would be, during the 2nd gear shift it sounded like and felt like the driveshaft broke, and that is what i thought happened the first time. It will shift into 2nd, chirp the tires and that quick it will go into neutral, if it was fluid would you think it would be so consistent on the problem? Is it possible that during such a hard shift that the gear position sensor or something electrical being "shocked" causing a false neutral for a moment.

I do want to add that on my last pass when it hit the neutral that i did let out of the throttle and got right back in it to find it was in 2nd and made a clean 2-3 pass. And I have been driving the car since then on the street on street tires for the past 3 weeks doing burnouts, street races, and whatnot using the 1-2 shift with not problems, but then again i am not pulling 1.5xx 60' on the street, maybe 1.9-2.1 at best?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I cant think of and electrical reason and on a good launch at the track besides pulling more Gs you do put alot more stress on the sprag than you would spinning on the street. Though I think after only a few times of this it would just let go completely .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-27-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

well thanks for the tips, i will pull the pan and check a few things, also i may put another 1/4 quart in thew tranny and try the track again if i find nothing, if it happens again i will pull the tranny and check out the sprag, i will post up if i find anything.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:18 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turn off P0757 and/or P0751 codes via tuning if you haven't done it already. Also, check for a VSS code and replace the sensor if necessary. The vehicle speed sensor can cause shifting problems.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i DO WANT TO ADD THAT I MADE A PASS WHERE THE CAR LEFT IN 2ND GEAR, HELD IT FINE WENT 11.2 @ 122 WITH A 1.64'

i'LL CHECK INTO THAT SHORT
Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I tore down the trannt and the rear planetary and reation shell are crackes with the splines that mate the two peices stripped. Looks like i mainly need just those two parts, which i have and maybe a 2-4 drum since the snap ring that hols the return springs was poped off. I don;t see the snap ring causing any of my problems i think maybe the craking of the planetary and reation shell may have poped the snap ring off somehow? After I get it all hack together(few days) I see if the problem is still there but i'm sure this will fix it.