Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Cunfusion sets in...need help...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cunfusion sets in...need help...

I'm looking for a set of 4.10 gears for my wife's SS. I've heard people say go with the GM gears, some say go with GM Motive gears. Is there a difference between the two? If so, which should I go with and where can I purchase them?

Thanks in advance,

Josh
Old 11-06-2003, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion for 10 bolt gears, they are all pretty much the same. If you plan on racing the car at the track you may have problems with the gears in time, no matter what brand you get. I know people that have broke Moser, Strange and Motive gear in their 10 bolt at the track.

Anyway, I would say check out any of the sponsors here, I know Thunder Racing has a great 4.10 gear package for $399. I think the Motive gears will work fine for the wife's car.

http://www.thunderracing.com/index.c...ategoryid=1066

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I install gears among other things. I have installed 10 different brands of gears in ratios from rock crawling Jeeps to highway beaters. The Motives are the only brand that I have ever had trouble with whining. From experience I recommend Superior gears. Precision are also a good choice. I have installed both brands (4.10 ratio) in the stock 10 bolts and they always setup nice and are quiet. But that's me.
Chris
Old 11-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
I install gears among other things. I have installed 10 different brands of gears in ratios from rock crawling Jeeps to highway beaters. The Motives are the only brand that I have ever had trouble with whining. From experience I recommend Superior gears. Precision are also a good choice. I have installed both brands (4.10 ratio) in the stock 10 bolts and they always setup nice and are quiet. But that's me.
Chris

Were the Motive gears the 5 cut or the 2 cut? I've heard that you can't setup the 2 cut the same as the 5 because it will whine bad if done.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never heard of setting them up different depending on the way they were cut. I don't believe that. At any rate, the set I did were "lapped" so they had been prerun and a pinion checking distance scribed on the pinion. That pretty well dictates where the pinion MUST go. So that's were it was set and I always keep them within the +/- .002 tolerance. The gear mesh pattern was text book perfect. The only reason I still remember is because I was shocked to hear how bad they whined.
I won't run them because there are many other brands to choose from and my experience with all the others has been great. So I will use any other brand first. Superior is such a good brand and have worked great many times for me I won't even mention Motive. I know Motives are some of the cheapest gears I can buy, (if you know where to get them) and I still won't buy them.

It has already been mentioned but these 10 bolts are just not super strong. Any brand of gears you choose will not likely affect the operation or strength of the stock 10 bolt. The ratio will. 4.10's are a little weaker because of such a small pinion. Other than that there is really no one saying "get 'X' brand of gears cause they won't break." I'm just throwing out my experience. I wish you the best of luck.

Chris
Old 11-06-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

can you guys define whine? Is this like a dull resonance whine at a specific speed? My wife's old jetta (01) had a tranny recall for a loud hollow axle problem. It was nasty annoying at the right mph like 40, under super light load, the resonance was quite notable.

Or is this a REAL whine like dog cut gears?

I got real gm 3.42's i hope they dont whine. Is there anything you can inspect or do to them pre-install or is it what you get is what you got?

Is the whine at all speeds? or just a "zone". I wouldn't mind if it was like 50-60 cause i never go that fast (or slow). But if it was like at freeway speeds (75-85) then that would suck.

Can you help a newb and define "whine".
Old 11-07-2003, 01:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

The whine was referring to is enough to make you want to jump out of the car at 65 MPH. It pissed me off it was so annoying. At 80 it was okay. Below that it was just "there."

You should be fine with GM 3.42's.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
I've never heard of setting them up different depending on the way they were cut. I don't believe that. At any rate, the set I did were "lapped" so they had been prerun and a pinion checking distance scribed on the pinion. That pretty well dictates where the pinion MUST go. So that's were it was set and I always keep them within the +/- .002 tolerance. The gear mesh pattern was text book perfect. The only reason I still remember is because I was shocked to hear how bad they whined.
I won't run them because there are many other brands to choose from and my experience with all the others has been great. So I will use any other brand first. Superior is such a good brand and have worked great many times for me I won't even mention Motive. I know Motives are some of the cheapest gears I can buy, (if you know where to get them) and I still won't buy them.

It has already been mentioned but these 10 bolts are just not super strong. Any brand of gears you choose will not likely affect the operation or strength of the stock 10 bolt. The ratio will. 4.10's are a little weaker because of such a small pinion. Other than that there is really no one saying "get 'X' brand of gears cause they won't break." I'm just throwing out my experience. I wish you the best of luck.

Chris
I appreciate the information. The reason I asked was because I read this wirte up from Ken C. He works for the Federal Government as the Manger-Federal Standards for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks