View Full Version : Im A Complete Newbie!

Mr.z/28
05-28-2009, 04:41 PM
I have a lot of questions when it comes down to my car.
for example, I was looking at some vids on youtube. I want to make my car sound loud for a stock a motor, till I get some money for performance parts. Open headers seem to have caught my attention.
where or what do I do. any pics?
is this bad for the motor.

Ericbigmac83
05-28-2009, 04:44 PM
you can either get a x pipe and run bullet mufflers or get a loudmouth catback exhaust.

Don't run open headers

02SLPfirehawk
05-28-2009, 05:01 PM
To do what you wanna do is pretty easy, I would first figure out how much you wanna spend, a cat back can range anywhere from about 430 too 1,300 depending on what you want, since you have a Z and if you want loud, REAL loud? go with and SLP Loudmouth, slponline.com will hook you up, the more expensive ones tend to be Corsa's and Borla's but they are very nice, my friend got a hell of a deal on a lightly used Corsa Cat-back for about 700 and I just checked MSRP, they are at least 1,100 brand new, long story short I would go SLP for noise (loud and when paired with LT's a y-pipe and hi flow cats down right annoying) but if you are trying to stay out of the cops radar, check out, Magnaflow, Borla or if you get lucky a used corsa, that'll get you started, once you get the money as far as your open headers question you can look into "cut-outs" which can be welded up on the collector tubes right before the cats and can either be electrically operated or manually opened depending on what you wanna spend, that way you can choose how loud you really wanna be. That was a lot I know but it should get you started, anything else either PM me or whoever and I'm sure wa can help ya out.

Firefighterformula
05-28-2009, 11:10 PM
+1 on the cutouts...

And the SLP LMI/II. I got the LMII off of Ebay new, on the cheap. Actually came with the SLP paperwork, and the "SLP" packing tape...must have been drop shipped. I can't remember exactly, but I think I saved 50 or 60 bucks over what SLP sells them for.

The resonator will make it a bit louder than the race muffler. You can switch it out to a bullet muffler if you upgrade to longtubes and the drone is too much.

I won't though...I like loud.:D

LCplmarine98
05-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Check out the ws6store.com They are a sponsor on this site and they have the best prices of anybody on the web. Also check out the parts classifieds on this site there are always good deals on headers cat-backs and such. If you need any more help just ask, this site is where i get all my info and almost all the parts on my car i have bought through this forum.

zuuhlsT/A
05-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Check out the ws6store.com They are a sponsor on this site and they have the best prices of anybody on the web. Also check out the parts classifieds on this site there are always good deals on headers cat-backs and such. If you need any more help just ask, this site is where i get all my info and almost all the parts on my car i have bought through this forum.

2X for Ws6store, great customer service too:nod:

araber89
05-29-2009, 11:11 PM
To do what you wanna do is pretty easy, I would first figure out how much you wanna spend, a cat back can range anywhere from about 430 too 1,300 depending on what you want, since you have a Z and if you want loud, REAL loud? go with and SLP Loudmouth, slponline.com will hook you up, the more expensive ones tend to be Corsa's and Borla's but they are very nice, my friend got a hell of a deal on a lightly used Corsa Cat-back for about 700 and I just checked MSRP, they are at least 1,100 brand new, long story short I would go SLP for noise (loud and when paired with LT's a y-pipe and hi flow cats down right annoying) but if you are trying to stay out of the cops radar, check out, Magnaflow, Borla or if you get lucky a used corsa, that'll get you started, once you get the money as far as your open headers question you can look into "cut-outs" which can be welded up on the collector tubes right before the cats and can either be electrically operated or manually opened depending on what you wanna spend, that way you can choose how loud you really wanna be. That was a lot I know but it should get you started, anything else either PM me or whoever and I'm sure wa can help ya out.

Ok I have LT headers ORY and SLP cat back and I am not in cops radar. I also have no front license plate and my tint is to dark. Now knock on wood I have never gotten pulled over and I have gone past many cops. Its how you present the car. Mine I try to keep clean and nice. I usually just idle past and don't floor it. Whenever you see one just drive 5 below the speed limit and just act like your out for a cruise. You'll be fine and mine is loud. And I like it!!

JJT
05-29-2009, 11:30 PM

As you were....Summit will match any price and ship faster then WS6. WS6 is good too...they have a lot more stuff, but I don't think you can beat summit for performance parts specifically internal. exp. headers, heads, exhaust. WS6 is good for exterior body and interior dressing stuff.

araber89
05-31-2009, 12:51 AM
As you were....Summit will match any price and ship faster then WS6. WS6 is good too...they have a lot more stuff, but I don't think you can beat summit for performance parts specifically internal. exp. headers, heads, exhaust. WS6 is good for exterior body and interior dressing stuff.

Agreed. +1 for summit!!

The Manalishi
05-31-2009, 12:55 AM
Not a fan of Summit. Had a couple of issues getting my parts on time. So I use other companies that actually ship it the way I want it shipped and on time.

Quik Sand
05-31-2009, 02:34 AM
for example, I was looking at some vids on youtube. I want to make my car sound loud for a stock a motor, till I get some money for performance parts. Open headers seem to have caught my attention.
is this bad for the motor.cutout. 50 bux and you'll have the neighbors ringin the cops.

BlueMagicSS
05-31-2009, 03:25 AM
Cutouts, LT's, ORY, Straight pipes, no resonator and a big honkin' cam!!!!!!!!! :devil:

chadaclysm
05-31-2009, 03:53 AM
I'm thinking about doing the same thing, either by an SLP LM1 or an electric cutout.

Daryn
05-31-2009, 11:30 AM
electric cutout or true duals!!!!

streetassasin
05-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Long tubes ory and dual cut outs on the collectors with a stock catback to save some cash. I have the dual cutouts and they are ridiculous.

2001CamaroB4C
06-01-2009, 04:55 PM
if you do get a cutout defanately should get an electronic one...it will make life soo much easier....and lt's are a must...whether they go true dual or ory....

468CH3V3LL3
06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
electric cutout or true duals!!!!

electric cutout and true duals!!!! :cheers:

JJT
06-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Not a fan of Summit. Had a couple of issues getting my parts on time. So I use other companies that actually ship it the way I want it shipped and on time.

Yea...see your point...I had some parts they kept telling me that are on backorder...but everytime I called the company (of the part) they were right. like American Racing they were right...I even tried to order from another company like pace1 and they said the same thing (part on backorder) like my Edlebrock shocks... on backorder. Point to consider...if Summit will state (on their website) that they will ship today...then its legit. But...if it has another date call the actual company of your part to see if they are backed up. No matter what, Summit has the best shipping and return service though. PLUS...they match the price!

ShortChevy
06-01-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd go with a SLP Loadmouth 1 catback. No doubt in my mind you'll love it and it does sound good and loud. It was the first exhuast I had on my car when it was bone ass stock and me and my friends loved it. In fact I sold it to a friend with an fbody when I went long tubes and true duals. If that doesn't sound good then how about $250 or $275 used in the forsale forum. They are stainless steel so what does it matter if its used or new execpt two hundred extra dollars.

ryonyanko
06-02-2009, 12:33 AM
true duals and a cutout you'll raise hell. I have a cutout on the stock exhaust down to the stock manifolds to the stock muffler and trust me its WAY too quiet.

slayerized6
06-02-2009, 12:56 AM

ws6store is the best sponsor ive ever dealt with. i usually have a tracking number within an hour and all my packages ship out same day. i rather pay the extra few bucks and help a sponsor out, get my parts FAST, and have unbelievable customer service.

JJT
06-02-2009, 01:19 AM
ws6store is the best sponsor ive ever dealt with. i usually have a tracking number within an hour and all my packages ship out same day. i rather pay the extra few bucks and help a sponsor out, get my parts FAST, and have unbelievable customer service.

Right on, Right on...I like WS6 Store too...Especially when they give me a free shirt. But I got my FAST Intake W/90mm TB way cheaper from Summit. They need to change the shirt though... the shirt motto should be..."Stangs are like Tampons...Every PUssies got one"...lol

hotjohnnyls1
06-03-2009, 12:54 AM
spend 29 bucks on a 2.5 cutout from summit and it will be loud

Counted Out
06-03-2009, 05:09 AM
spend 29 bucks on a 2.5 cutout from summit and it will be loud
Cheapest way to loud.

JJT
06-03-2009, 11:45 PM
is this bad for the motor.

You want loud...get long tube headers(QTP or KOOKS)---IF YOU CAN GET BY SMOGTESTS, also get Custom Y-pipe, and Borla Exhaust. Everyone will drop there jaw and watch you drive by...LOUDER THEN HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jersey Mike
06-03-2009, 11:49 PM
CUTOUT

in case you haven't already gotten the hint ;)

The very first thing I did was swap out the factory Catback for a Magnflow system. Took the car out for a cruise while the exhaust was off and I loved the sound. These LSx motors are strong. A cutout is a cheap way to get an amazing sound.
I'd get a cutout now.

Forueight
06-04-2009, 12:56 AM
I would honestly recomend the GMMG chambered exhuast for about $700 to $750 but its well worth it, so you could hear how the exhaust sounds, type "GMMG chambered exhuast" in youtube so you could hear the exhaust, you will like it guarenteed. :D

Shroomun
06-04-2009, 10:18 PM
As far as I can tell best bang for the buck is the texas speed rumbler system.

M6-LSONE
06-05-2009, 04:11 AM
what if someone just wanted to make the car sound a little deeper and a tuch louder? how would you go about doing that? the cope hate me lol

BlackonBlackTA
06-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Cut out... or route your exhaust open header out the hood of the car. I am also a fan of drip caps... I like the clanging sound they make with a lopey cam.

Jersey Mike
06-05-2009, 01:27 PM
what if someone just wanted to make the car sound a little deeper and a tuch louder? how would you go about doing that? the cope hate me lol

Magnaflow Catback exhaust system.