General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help 95 lt1 firebird 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help 95 lt1 firebird 5.7

Hi every1
just bought firebird few days ago.when i bought the car the trany was finished so i give the car to install used trany which the trany had 38 miles on it.now the problem
1. when i drive the car the rear differential make noise. sound like its dry there is no oil.if there is no oil i know i will install the oil seal so like to know do i need to install any other thing too inside the differential.

2.when i start the car or drive i smell gas and from the exhaust its small alot of carbon monoxide.

3.when i gas the car it doesnt rave fast it should do.

4.to be honest i dont have lots of money to spend lol my car is stock and i want nice sound what if i take out the cat converter from the front and put the testpipe will it sound good or if i take out the rear muffler and put straight pipe ?what sound will sound more good.

5.car have stock star alloys what size of tires should i install cuz now the car have 225-60-16 in front and back is 335-60-16 my car look like a 4x4 ..lol
Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fire5.7bird95
Hi every1
just bought firebird few days ago.when i bought the car the trany was finished so i give the car to install used trany which the trany had 38 miles on it.now the problem
1. when i drive the car the rear differential make noise. sound like its dry there is no oil.if there is no oil i know i will install the oil seal so like to know do i need to install any other thing too inside the differential.

2.when i start the car or drive i smell gas and from the exhaust its small alot of carbon monoxide.

3.when i gas the car it doesnt rave fast it should do.

4.to be honest i dont have lots of money to spend lol my car is stock and i want nice sound what if i take out the cat converter from the front and put the testpipe will it sound good or if i take out the rear muffler and put straight pipe ?what sound will sound more good.

5.car have stock star alloys what size of tires should i install cuz now the car have 225-60-16 in front and back is 335-60-16 my car look like a 4x4 ..lol
1) Try adding diff fluid with a bottle of GM LS additive.
2) Carbon Monoxide has no odor... sounds like its running pig rich
3) Due to #2, I would check the igniton system. Also, verify the Optispark is running good. Maybe a tune-up is needed.
4) Save your money and add a cutout.
5) You can run 235/55/16, 245/50/16 or 255/50/16 without modifying the ECM. The car might also be running bad if the ECM wasn't tuned to run that size tire.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Teching In

please can you tell me how should i check the ignition system and optispark is there diy for that or if you explain me how to check it please.

sorry i didnt understand of #4 you said Save your money and add a cutout.what is cutout ?how it look like?is it easy to install?from where can i get it?

Thanks alot

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
1) Try adding diff fluid with a bottle of GM LS additive.
2) Carbon Monoxide has no odor... sounds like its running pig rich
3) Due to #2, I would check the igniton system. Also, verify the Optispark is running good. Maybe a tune-up is needed.
4) Save your money and add a cutout.
5) You can run 235/55/16, 245/50/16 or 255/50/16 without modifying the ECM. The car might also be running bad if the ECM wasn't tuned to run that size tire.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fire5.7bird95
please can you tell me how should i check the ignition system and optispark is there diy for that or if you explain me how to check it please.

sorry i didnt understand of #4 you said Save your money and add a cutout.what is cutout ?how it look like?is it easy to install?from where can i get it?

Thanks alot
Well, you can take it to a shop/dealer and have them run a diagnostics on it to get a baseline. This will at least verify your fuel and electrical system are OK. Bad spark, leaky injectors and bad O2's can make it run rich.
Buy a Haynes manual and start doing searches on posts on this website for tips. Personally, I would run a full on Sea Foam treatment... in the oil, gas tank and intake. That is not advice, just what I did to mine. Do a search for posts that give results.
I would do a full tune-up next (best right after the Sea Foam):
Change oil/filter, fuel filter, air Filter, clean the MAF (with CRC MAF cleaner), clean the throttle body (TB cleaner), change the spark plugs and wires, clean the Optispark connectors and use die electric grease on the connectors, wires and plugs. I added an Accel 300 digital ignition to my 94 and it really smoothed out the idle, powerband and increased the mileage.

As for the cutout, it's the cheapest alternative to getting good sound with the ability to retain your stock exhaust for times when you need it to be quiet. It installs inline with your exhaust but allow you to open up a cap, which directs the exhaust right out of the connection bypassing the muffler. I had one on my 99Z until I bought an SLP LM1. You can get them from sponsors on this site or other vendors like JEG'S or Summit. They can get more expensive with added features like electronic openings. It should be installed by a pro/exhaust shop unless you are good with a welder.

Once you get it running right, you might want to start with some bolt-on mods like a good y-pipe (or headers if you have the $), bypass cat (or high flow cat), air intake, throttle body air foil and, well, just start browsing the vendors website and you will see

Good luck & I hope this helps...

A standard cutout:

An electric cutout added on:
Old 09-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Teching In

thx for the info.today i bought the seafoam like to know where do i put it?in the engine oil or gas tank?i had problem with the running rich and smell well that problem has been fixed on the intake there is a long intake pipe which is going down that was badly cracked so i fixed it.now its ok but still when i put the padel on full gas then the car hasitate.i hope the seafoam will fix the problem.and for the diffrental the right wheel bearing was making noise i changed it still the noise is there now i am confuse which bearing is making noise cuz in the difrental there are 3 bearings.

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
Well, you can take it to a shop/dealer and have them run a diagnostics on it to get a baseline. This will at least verify your fuel and electrical system are OK. Bad spark, leaky injectors and bad O2's can make it run rich.
Buy a Haynes manual and start doing searches on posts on this website for tips. Personally, I would run a full on Sea Foam treatment... in the oil, gas tank and intake. That is not advice, just what I did to mine. Do a search for posts that give results.
I would do a full tune-up next (best right after the Sea Foam):
Change oil/filter, fuel filter, air Filter, clean the MAF (with CRC MAF cleaner), clean the throttle body (TB cleaner), change the spark plugs and wires, clean the Optispark connectors and use die electric grease on the connectors, wires and plugs. I added an Accel 300 digital ignition to my 94 and it really smoothed out the idle, powerband and increased the mileage.

As for the cutout, it's the cheapest alternative to getting good sound with the ability to retain your stock exhaust for times when you need it to be quiet. It installs inline with your exhaust but allow you to open up a cap, which directs the exhaust right out of the connection bypassing the muffler. I had one on my 99Z until I bought an SLP LM1. You can get them from sponsors on this site or other vendors like JEG'S or Summit. They can get more expensive with added features like electronic openings. It should be installed by a pro/exhaust shop unless you are good with a welder.

Once you get it running right, you might want to start with some bolt-on mods like a good y-pipe (or headers if you have the $), bypass cat (or high flow cat), air intake, throttle body air foil and, well, just start browsing the vendors website and you will see

Good luck & I hope this helps...

A standard cutout:

An electric cutout added on: