General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Driverside Door Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driverside Door Issues

I think I am experiencing an abnormal issue with my door, the window started "notching" as it went up and down awhile back but continued to work fine unless it got all the way down, then it would repeatedly notch and sound like it was going to blow up.

Then while this issue was occurring, my key FOB slowly began not opening that door often. The FOB opened the passengerside door beautifully but the driverside door unlocking became less and less frequent until my FOB no longer opened it and I have to manually unlock with my key.

I want to open the door open to see whats going on but I'm afraid I'm going to find a mess that I'd rather not deal with.

Anyway have any experience with these issues either separately or together? What did you or the person you know have to replace/fix?

Last edited by KameleonTransAm; 05-29-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Is it a "clicking" in the window or does the window go crooked on you. (Not sure what notching is.)

If its clicking, then your motor was probably replaced in the past with bolts replacing the rivets. Its common for the bolts to come loose in this scenario, which allows the motor gear to become disengaged from the regulator. (causing the click) Fix is just tightening, locktite, and a smile.

Your lock issue will cause a frown and is probably due to a bad lock solenoid or a BCM issue.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright guys, just looking for more opinions on the door locking issue. Like stated, the FOB and doorlock buttons still open the passengerside door but do nothing to the driverside. (Only way to open is use of key) My window motors are being replaced tomorrow so while the door is apart, what part do I need to fix this?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Its probably the electric latch. If I remember correctly, its all one unit bolted to the latch mechanism on the end of the door. The key cylinder and door handles are connected by hard linkages. So, its probably either a bad solenoid in the unit, a cut wire, or an unplugged connector somewhere. (Its not going to be a cheap part, or one you can get quickly, so you'll want to test the electrical while you are in the door.)
Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn man, you realize you're the only one that helped me before. You have tech send you a bat signal or something when old threads you've posted in get revived?

How should I try to diagnose it, just by looking I should be able to tell?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Save the manuals!

I think a problem is in your title - its too generic for people to get interested and look.

I'd suggest creating separate posts for separate problems. That will help you get more concise feedback. For the door lock problem, try a new post with a title like "Need help diagnosing a power door lock that will not work." etc.