General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Pump Bad? Please Help..

Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Fuel Pump Bad? Please Help..

Pulled up to the ATM today and shut the car off. Went to start the car and it just turns over and over. Seems like the Ign and Starter are fine, but it isn getting fuel. I pulled the FP relay and put a new one in its place. It started up twice. Pulled the new relay and put the old one back in again and it wouldn start. Figured the relay was bad. Put the new back on and the damn thing wouldn start!!! There is a SES light on and I scanned with EFI Live and no trouble code were being reported! Any one have any Ideas? The car is sitting in a parking lot across town and its my only car at the moment. Baby on the way and had to sell my Daily Driver... Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does the fuel pump make the normal priming sound when you turn the key to "on" with any of the relays in there?

There's a fuel pump fuse in there too, did you check that? Just thought there was a fuse, no relays.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

release the pressure at the schreder valve on the fuel rail and then KOEO and check to see if you have pressure at the valve. if no pressure=bad fuel pump.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Smacked the crap out of the gas tank with a mallet and the fuel pump started humming. Started it up a drove to a buddies garage... Leaning towards bad pump.. Wud ya think?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by grndpndr
Smacked the crap out of the gas tank with a mallet and the fuel pump started humming. Started it up a drove to a buddies garage... Leaning towards bad pump.. Wud ya think?

Yep, I'd say so.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

or a loose wire/plug, if you're lucky.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by grndpndr
Smacked the crap out of the gas tank with a mallet and the fuel pump started humming. Started it up a drove to a buddies garage... Leaning towdumdumdums bad pump.. Wud ya think?
fuel pump it is, that is what we did with l200/300 saturns when i worked for GM(fuel pumps are a know problem with the l-series around 100k miles)
Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Well, I picked up a couple take off pumps from one of our sponsers and installed it. Hooked up and installed w/ minimal issues. Started right up. Drove for about 20miles and stopped off at a friends place. That was last Thursday and the car is still there. Dead. Same deal as before. The relay clicks, but the pump never fires up. Gonna test connections and if that is clean then I will try the other pump... Any other suggestions or opinions?

Search this Thread